Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

488nm vs 49Xnm

Today I received a bin'd <488nm Sharp (HUGE thanks to ZRaffleticket and Paul for lining this up). I gotta say, I'm very happy with the entire process of getting something this specific, scientifically measured, all by a couple gentlemen who did nothing but offer extras and kind words the whole time. That's not the reason for this post, so I'll take my shout-outs to another thread and get to the pics :)

I immediately wanted to see this new diode next to my 490nm. Who wouldn't!? Well, if you are reading this - likely you DO - so I tried to take some simple shots and then some more 'fancy' ones. I'll let them do the rest of the talking. There's over 100 photos in the 488 album on Flickr - I grabbed just a handful.

Beams coming towards the viewer in this 1st one; 49x on L, 488 on the R:

IMAG2055 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

Beams going away from the viewer;
49x on the Left; 488 on the right:

IMAG1965 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG1964 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

Still, 49x on L:

IMAG1996 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

IMAG2000 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

This one is from the side, maybe I just want to be confusing??? :crackup:

IMAG2046 by Lewie Wilkinson, on Flickr

Last edited:

diachi

Nice pictures again!

That first picture shows the difference quite well. :)

Gazen

Awesome pictures. There really is a huge difference in those coupe of nanometers.

jnrpop

Awesome photos @LewDude, thanks for posting :D and a shout-out to the couple of generous gentlemen mentioned in the OP :beer: , great members of this community! Its incredible the difference a few nm makes in this range of the spectrum!

Last edited:
Hey Lew, Great shots! I especially like the geometry in the fourth one.

Nice beam shots:drool:
In low light my 490nm diode at 150mA has just the slightest green, almost a turquoise beam. It’s really cool.
SGD:beer:

Glad you like it!

I'm putting mine together tomorrow. I'll be making some comparisons of ~487 against ~492. Though I doubt I can get pics half as nice as yours are. Good stuff!

I am so happy the diode got to you intact. It is very obvious from your first photo that the wavelength of this diode is lower than the 49Xnm one. I am happy to say that all my projects for other people have all been finished and shipped out. Every last one of them. What a relief.

Those are some great beam shots you have here. Lew. Also glad you are increasing your optics collection with a dove prism. :D

Thanks, Len. And back at you, buddy. You appear to be one good rep away from 3 million rep points. :D

Wow! Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. I'm leaning towards 49X!

I've noticed lately that you have been posting answers to old threads. This is normally called necro posting around here and is not liked by most members who have been here awhile. I have refrained from saying anything until now. If you want to share your thoughts about a diode you would like to have, open your own thread and post it there. I really don't like seeing an old thread brought back just so you can tell me something I care little about.