Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

488nm Sharp Solarforce Build

I don't like to swear often in my posts, but good god that is fucking awesome.

Amazing job. Really well done, on both the idea and execution.

EDIT - Can you talk about your polishing technique? I mirror polished the heatsinks on some of my all-copper builds, and I found it hard to get that final 'ultra-mirror' effect. I used 640/1000/1500/2000 grit automotive sandpaper, then some red rouge, then Mothers Mag polish. But I'm always interested to see what others do.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey Andrew, so glad you like it, it did turn out pretty good.

I generally finish my copper builds, and aluminum ones too, pretty much just like you stated above, once in awhile I'll add a few extra finer grit papers, and then, like you, always finish up with some Mothers polish.

When I do use a finer paper, I usually use the finer grits from these multi grit packs (see pic below) that I picked up at a "Hobby Lobby" hobby store.

I usually do all my polishing while I've still got the parts in the lathe, once in awhile I'll polish parts with a buffing wheel, especially if I need to polish crosswise to the rotation of the lathe.

This particular copper heatsink was finished a little differently, I sanded as usual, but instead of the last step being Mothers, I cleaned it with alcohol, and then sprayed it with a couple of coats of "Krylon" crystal clear gloss.
I use this method when re-polishing the heatsink would be a pain.

mmSkDAZ.jpg

Last edited:
Ooooh, 4/8/12k paper. Very cool.

So when you polish in the lathe, you don't get bands or rings? I tried using a drill, but found I needed the randomness of a hand pattern, to avoid streaking. But I arguably wasn't being very careful.

Do you do it wet, or dry?

Good tip on the Krylon. I've never tried that (as I've always just said it would be easy to just re-polish if needed, and I like seeing my copper air-tarnish over time, most of the time). But coating it is definitely a good technique as well when you want to lock in the shine. (And I suppose it also helps increase that mirror-gloss look.)

All really good stuff. I'll have to grab some of that paper next time I see a Hobby Lobby. I find polishing copper to be oddly fun, almost like meditation.
Thanks for sharing the tips!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yeah, you can tend to get bands when polishing on the lathe, but I've found a few things can help reduce that effect, one is that I try not to skip steps (grits), when going finer, also I do try and work back and forth with the paper, if there is room, and the last thing I can think of is to not use excessive pressure, just let the paper do the work.

I have done all my polishing dry so far.

I also like the look of naturally tarnished copper in sone instances. :yh:

One other technique that I use quite often when I want a unique look with copper, is to sandblast the part with a fine abrasive, and then finish with a matte or semi-gloss spray, it looks good, hides imperfections, and you never have to touch it again!

I have some copper hosts that were finished with an acrylic spray. The two I still have empty are almost fours years old and still have a just polished look to them. BTW, Jeff, thank you so much for finishing the heat sink for me. He also sent me taps for set screws and a carbide drill bit plus several set screws of different sizes. Jeff does beautiful work and I am so grateful to call him friend. :yh:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Paul. :beer:

Have you had a chance to work on your new project yet?

Yeah, I had to use my M9X0.5M tap I bought years ago to get the focus knob to accept a G2 lens properly. I was beginning to think I would never find a use for that tap. I have everything layed out on my bench now. I will get back to it once I get back from my Doctor's appointment on Tuesday. Maybe sooner if I have the time, but I have too much else going on at the moment. I need to set my X-Drive to 2 amps or maybe just a bit more. Once it is finished, I'll have to take a lot of photos and beam shots to post to imgur so I can post it on a new thread.