Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

488nm Sharp Solarforce Build

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
SOLARFORCE S.S. 488nm

CGWGU4n.jpg

Hi guys, I've been wanting to build something in one of these "Solarforce L2T S.S. Edition[/U]" hosts for a couple of years now, but I've never had the right combination of diode power & wavelength to satisfy what I thought this finished build should look like, till now. :yh:

A while back, I got lucky enough purchase this low wavelength Sharp (GH04850B2G) diode from Paul 1598419.
He spectro'd it at 487nm, so I feel pretty confident that at my fairly conservative setting of 230mA, it's sitting at around 488nm, using Pauls calculations of approximately 1nm gain per 100mW.

Not a lot more to say, as there have been quite a few of these (+,-) 488nm diodes used in builds recently.
So, without any further rambling, here are the particulars of my Sharp 488nm build. :yh:

Components Used For This Build:

• Solarforce L2T Stainless Steel Edition Host.
  • Sharp GH04850B2G Diode @487nm (Paul1598419).
  • 12mm Copper Module (DTR).
  • "Pico" Driver set at 230mA (Astralist).
  • Custom Focus Adapter, and Copper Heatsink.
  • (1) 18650 4..3V Li-Ion Battery.

Dimensions & Weight:

• Length = 147.5mm (5.8")
  • Diameter = 32mm (1.25") Head, 25mm (1.0") Body
  • Weight w/Battery = 367g (13.0 oz)
  • Weight w/o Battery = 320g (11.28 oz)
  • Weight of Copper Heatsink = 124g (4.37 oz)

Measured Power Output:

• 3 Element Lens = 106mW
  • G-2 Lens = 131mW

Now for some "in progress" build photos followed by some beautiful 488nm Photons! :cool:

Great packaging, a nice sturdy box, with matching sleeve! :yh:
Dex3ahp.jpg
B5X22zp.jpg

An exploded view of all of the pieces that came in the Solarforce D.I.Y. flashlight kit.
jfsl7KW.jpg

A couple of pics showing the overall high quality of the Solarforce products.

Front end & battery tube. Notice the high quality threads, heavy duty "O" rings, and thick walled construction throughout.
rzJRjSp.jpg

Tailcap w/heavy gold plated spring and nice screw in removable switch.
H5Usng9.jpg

Initial turning of the 1/4 + pound copper heatsink. ;)
qzPf1r0.jpg

Finished H.S., pre polish.
UJFQveI.jpg

All shined up and ready to be filled up with 488nm photons! :yh:
oDUWPXS.jpg

Module, heatsink and battery board all coming together.
IKMjjDL.jpg

First light, .....it lives!
izpznGj.jpg

Talk about a fingerprint magnet! :eek:
b5MJN1d.jpg

jvDatKR.jpg

k96sKxl.jpg

ioTSS3H.jpg

BGaWpcY.jpg

xBA6lu8.jpg

Beam through a fan grating.
5Qj8vs7.jpg

Heavy fog, swirls of 488nm!
acMkfgY.jpg

Here are two photos of patterns made through some wavy glass that I got from Hakzaw in one of his "care" packages.

s2w4Hei.jpg

uHStrun.jpg

That's it for now, thank you all for making it this far, also a special thanks to Paul for allowing me to purchase this beautiful wavelength diode from him! :yh:

:thanks:

Last edited:

Whoaa!! Just a frikin awesome Bowtie! :wave:

Solarforce body suits perfectly for 488nm and with heavy copper heatsink guratee unlimited duty cycle..
Also focus ring looks really nice too!

Just super nice and clean 488nm build!

And tutorial is such a pleasure to read, plus those pics are such eye candy and makes me wonder:
Have you taken a photography class or Course without telling us?? :D :D

:topic:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Tero, I appreciate your kind words.

I think it turned out pretty good too, that S.S. host matched with that wavelength works well!

While taking the photos, I probably had the laser on for over 5 minutes at a time, and the host barely got warm to the touch, without measuring, I'd say maybe body temperature?

The little focus ring has a smaller diameter back half which slides back into the h.s. to support and steady the focus; it's a nice slip fit and you don't really need a spring, although I gave one in there.

I'd love to take a photography class, and have have a better camera, but for now it's just my old Samsung S7 phone camera.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
OMG,perfect

Thanks trinh! :yh:

Beautiful build Bowtie! That heatsink suits this host so well, what a combo! and nice wheels in the background ;)

Thanks, I thought the h.s./host combo. turned out to be a good pairing also! :beer:

Edit: Thank you bruce, glad you like them; the old Nova likes to sneak into the pics once in a while.

Last edited:
Hi BTG
Those hosts are awesome to build on . I did a few of them with a CU sink and adapter . They are worth the price to. I still have a few hosts left. Great job buddy.

Rich:)

That build looks awesome, Jeff. It turned out to be a sweet looking light blue laser. The copper heat sink was a very nice touch. Your photos of the build and beam shots are top of the notch. I have built several of these for other members using astralist's new Pico driver and with DTR's 520nm AR coated two element lens has no trace of the usual artifacts we see with these Sharp diodes with short focal length aspheres. Congratulations on a superior build. :yh:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
That build looks awesome, Jeff. It turned out to be a sweet looking light blue laser. The copper heat sink was a very nice touch. Your photos of the build and beam shots are top of the notch. I have built several of these for other members using astralist's new Pico driver and with DTR's 520nm AR coated two element lens has no trace of the usual artifacts we see with these Sharp diodes with short focal length aspheres. Congratulations on a superior build. :yh:

Thanks Paul, the copper H.S. does seem to give it just the right look. This is the first time I've used the "pico" driver, and it seems to be a nice alternative.

Very nice. Sweet beam shots too. :D

Thanks Red! :yh:

Nice build :kewlpics:

Glad you like them, appreciate the kind words.

Hi BTG
Those hosts are awesome to build on . I did a few of them with a CU sink and adapter . They are worth the price to. I still have a few hosts left. Great job buddy.

Yes, I remember the build you made, that just made me want to get at my build even more, but as you can see, I'm just now finally building mine, been a long time coming.
I agree, these are great hosts, as a matter of fact, I've built a few different lasers using various Solarforce hosts, and everyone of them has been a top notch, high quality product.

Last edited:
Where did you get the focus knob you used on this build, Jeff? I like it a lot better than the usual one.

BTG,
I also have the other SF host with the extension tube in Black. All their hosts are worthy. Even the Single 10440 pens are a treat, I built one also as a EDC pocket ..
I really like the quality of the finished product..

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Where did you get the focus knob you used on this build, Jeff? I like it a lot better than the usual one.

Hi Paul, I made this one, like most of the ones that I end up using in my builds, it's just made of polished aluminum.
The nice thing about this one is that it fits inside the copper heatsink by about 12mm to help steady the focused beam.
You can see the clearance for the focus knob that is cut into the heatsink in the photo of the completed heatsink; the diode module is recessed back into the h.s. to accomodate the focus knob. :yh:

@Rich, I couldn't agree more, they make a nice product! I've got another SF host that I may do a build in, maybe a 462nm.
BTW, I like the host you have your sig., it reminds me of a "Buck Rogers" weapon. :D

Hi BTG,
Yes they are great hosts to build and have a nice appearance to. 462 nm sound great in that host good choice buddy.
Just finished another AL host on my thread 2X18650's.