Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

476nm laser

Ted, send it to me. I can tell exactly what went wrong here. It sounds like the driver is also toast as at 3.9 VDC it should draw more current than it has. So, you likely don't even have a working driver. In case you don't still have my address, I'll PM you with it if you like. You are not that far away from me, so it won't take long getting here. Let me know what you would like.

I see it as a double-edged sword. There are some sellers that will only sell through f&f, they do this to protect themselves from unscrupulous buyers. So the buyer had no recourse. Should the buyer do something to damage the unit.

The flap side is now the buyer has no protection from a unscrupulous seller or damage done to the unit in transit. One person or the other is left holding the bag.

What’s the answer?

Third party maybe.?
That puts a lot of responsibility on the third party. Not to mention the time they spend dealing with the situation. It also doubles the shipping cost, as they then have to reship the item.
I guess if the item is expensive and the third party is compensated it might be worth it. Who knows. Maybe someone can turn this idea into a little business? LPF's professional middleman.

Or just trust what the other individual says and hope their honest. :thinking:
I'm one of those trusting fools. The idea of trying to take advantage of or ripoff a member of LPF is repugnant to me. I guess I expect others to feel and behave the same way.

Ted, send it to me. I can tell exactly what went wrong here. It sounds like the driver is also toast as at 3.9 VDC it should draw more current than it has. So, you likely don't even have a working driver. In case you don't still have my address, I'll PM you with it if you like. You are not that far away from me, so it won't take long getting here. Let me know what you would like.
Thank you Paul. PM sent.
I'd love to know more about this failure. Do you think there is any hope that a new driver will resurrect this poor unicorn?

Last edited:
The fact that you got no light out of the diode makes me think pessimistically about it, but I will use ESD precautions and test each item in the module separately. We can only hope, at this point.

jnrpop

As i read the above, i thought yes it could just be that the VPS fried the driver :thinking: a few members in the past have given up on dead diodes only to find out the driver was playing tricks or fried. Hoping for the best :bowdown:
One fact is you posted + temp readings on the diode, which indicated current flow through it :thinking:

Last edited:

BobMc

I am sad that this happened to you T-Warne. As I would be if it happened to anybody. I certainly hope you and BillyBob can work out something that is equitable for both party’s. Hope the best. :)

As i read the above, i thought yes it could just be that the VPS fried the driver :thinking: a few members in the past have given up on dead diodes only to find out the driver was playing tricks or fried. Hoping for the best :bowdown:
One fact is you posted + temp readings on the diode, which indicated current flow through it :thinking:

This is the cause of my pessimism. One might think that maybe the driver is bad, but the diode, somehow, survived. The temperature increase of the diode makes me think nothing survived.

This is the cause of my pessimism. One might think that maybe the driver is bad, but the diode, somehow, survived. The temperature increase of the diode makes me think nothing survived.

can a diode draw current and heat up without emiting any light out of it?(led) i never encountered something like this,interesting,i'll wait the results that you will come up after testing

Yeah, not if it is hooked up correctly. If it is drawing enough current to get hot, then it should emit light. Since this came with the driver attached, one can only assume it is connected correctly. Can't say for sure yet, but will know when I get it.

I received T_Warne's 476nm module in the mail today. It looked like it was put together very well, in fact it looked like my work. I took the driver off the diode and tested it first. It is a Nano Boost driver set at 275 mA and it still works just fine.

Next, I set the diode up like I was going to measure the wavelength and found it to be LEDed. From threshold to 100 mA it puts out a little bit of light, but does not increase with current. Since it came put together correctly and the driver works, it is likely it came LEDed as even without a heat sink, the copper module would have provided enough heat sinking for at least 30 seconds of run time.

I am very sorry for your loss, Ted.

Reactions: GSS

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Damn, that's too bad, it would have been nice if it was just a bad Nano driver. :(

PS - Good job, Paul, it's very kind of you to check this out! :yh:

Last edited:
Thanks, Jeff. I just feel so badly for T_Warne. That's a lot of money for a boost driver, copper module and a three element lens. :(

Paul, Thank you for taking a look.

BillyBoy, what batteries were you using to power the module?

Well that was crap...My RGB Module was also badly packed, so I don’t think BillyBob has learnt his lesson yet. If you manage to sell anything else on LPF I’d suggest you look into how to package things correctly.

Regarding F&F I have completed multiple sales this way and only had one instance of a non-working laser, which I actually took back. The guy got a refund minus the cost of parts - he’d fried the driver putting the battery in the wrong way. Anyway F&F can be used and I have paid many members here with that option, but you should be careful WHO you pay. Do they have a good sales history, how long have they been on LPF and are they trusted members...Anyway here PP charges nearly 6 % for US to FR transactions in USD. ;) :beer:

Last edited:
this thread has been very educational to me on many levels.
im sorry for your loss op.

I'm glad someone can learn from my foolish mistake. Always ask lots and lots of questions about the item. Always ask for several pictures showing the condition of the item along side a piece of paper with the user's name and today's date. Don't be afraid to ask for specific pictures of the parts you want to see. NEVER pay for anything using PP friends and family. If something seems too good to be true... it probably is. :beer:

GSS

So still no admit of the sellers shipping negligence??