Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

473nm pointer questions

Send a PM to Lifetime17 and tell him what you want. You can tell him I told you to go to him. I'm pretty certain he told me he had at least one left. I wouldn't wait, though. It's first come, first served. Go to the User CP icon, click on it, then on the left side look for send a message and click on that. I'm sure he can set you up for way less than the cost of the DPSS laser.

Thanks, Paul. I sent him a message the first time you mentioned him. I just haven't heard back yet. I'll be patient.

18LJ

Theres a few different 473nm on this site however i would do some research to see how reliable/legit the site is, it looks alright but i was going to look up to see if i could find any reviews before buying anything from the site, they have most commonly found wavelengths youd find on ebay or other sites buuuut......this rgb handheld 473, 532, 650 really stole my heart. Anybody have any idea or guesses what sort of driver would be inside this handheld???

https://m.lightinthebox.com/en/lt-8...m-2-x-cr123-black_p1997799.html?prm=1-2.5.1.1

Chances of that being legit are very low. It's probably a blue in the 445-455nm range.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there's no way that's 473nm. it's probably not even blue, my bet is that it's 650nm (red), 532nm (green) and 405nm (violet) in that. As for drivers... probably a 532nm module with a driver built on, and the cheap constant voltage drivers on the other two. I don't see multiple switches, so there's probably just a tailswitch that turns on all three at once.

__

473nm you won't find for under $300 for 1mW, or 5mW... unless you find someone with some of these sample diodes from sharp. They were a very limited run that no low quality chinese seller like this appears to be would try it. Even the high quality ones wouldn't really... I think the only folks who did were sanwu, and they ended up killing theirs without knowing how/why. These samples were very touchy and would die for no apparent reason. These things would certainly not be able to withstand a cheap driver.

So that leaves standard DPSS 473nm, where there's no real practical purpose for thus no reason to be manufactured. That's why the 473nm units from more reputable sources are so expensive. I doubt they're making much on them even...

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
I can't speak for Sanwu, but of the samples that are out there of these 473nm to 478nm Sharp diodes, mine is still running strong at 275 mA for an output power of 130 mW at 477nm. There are other members who have working examples of these too. I used a CC Nano Boost driver on mine, and that seems to be the driver of choice for those that are still working. I run mine at least 5 times a week as I just love the color.

I can't speak for Sanwu, but of the samples that are out there of these 473nm to 478nm Sharp diodes, mine is still running strong at 275 mA for an output power of 130 mW at 477nm. There are other members who have working examples of these too. I used a CC Nano Boost driver on mine, and that seems to be the driver of choice for those that are still working. I run mine at least 5 times a week as I just love the color.

Still need to account for the diodes that passed. Billy had one that died and I had two that died. Plus these nano drives we have access to are amazing.

I can't account for someone else's diode that failed. I can only speak to what I have and what I know of members who have working examples. I know that some of the failures were because of mistakes in setting up the drivers. I could hazard a guess at others in small pen hosts that didn't have adequate heat sinking. The rest,,,,,,who knows.

Hi,
The 480 nm diode runs best with a nano set to 275mA all i have built love that setting. Its the middle of the power range, and all one still run great. Remember i bought mine in the first bloom of these diodes and they were the best. The aft were so so with different pin configs and polarity settings.

Rich:)
Rich:)

I think the OP is looking for a lower power than that 275mA would produce. Might be able to drive these with a micro flex for a few mW. They're good up to 6.4V IIRC. It runs the 485 which wants 6v or so

If I weren't afraid to tear apart my 485 I'd test it on one of the spare green diodes I have from the 508-510nm batch...

Sure, these can be driven anywhere above threshold. I'd say 120 mA would be sufficient to get a nice low output.

I think the OP is looking for a lower power than that 275mA would produce. Might be able to drive these with a micro flex for a few mW. They're good up to 6.4V IIRC. It runs the 485 which wants 6v or so

If I weren't afraid to tear apart my 485 I'd test it on one of the spare green diodes I have from the 508-510nm batch...

Yeah, I'm starting to abandon that concept as I do more research. I'm thinking, why waste such a brilliant wavelength on low-power? I can find a 445-450nm for cheap at 5mW. Why not experience 473nm in all its greatness?

Well, I hope you were able to come to an arrangement with Rich (Lifetime17) as he can build you one with the Nano Boost driver in a small, but good heat sink that will show off that color very well. I can see the beam from mine in a well lit room.

Yup same here. If you want some pics of what to expect you can check out the 476 or the 480 links in my sig. You'll definitely like it