Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nM & Kipkay?

I like Kip Kay's vids. What's wrong with trying to rally up people into the wonderful hobby of DIY? In fact I came to this forum after seeing Kip's DVD burner Maglite Laser hack, way before he became popular. I already knew a bit about electronics so I knew right away that his method was BS, but it still got me interested in going about it the right way. I never knew DVD burners had a powerful laser in them.

It's inevitable that these diodes will take off quickly. I remember when we were doing GBs for the PS3 405nm diodes, and now look, there are 405nm pointers on eBay for 10 bucks! These lasers will start off here, then at laser suppliers (they're already at WL), then they'll be all over You Tube, and finally they'll make it onto eBay for cheap. There is no stopping it.

So, Kip if you read this, make a vid! Electronics are cool, lasers are cool, DIY is cool! In any event at least we're among the first in the world to have 445nm laser pointers. That, IMO, is killer.

Unfortunately my stupid friends could care less and think you can change the color of a red laser with a colored filter (facepalm).

-Tony

mfo

I like Kip Kay's vids. What's wrong with trying to rally up people into the wonderful hobby of DIY? In fact I came to this forum after seeing Kip's DVD burner Maglite Laser hack, way before he became popular. I already knew a bit about electronics so I knew right away that his method was BS, but it still got me interested in going about it the right way. I never knew DVD burners had a powerful laser in them.

It's inevitable that these diodes will take off quickly. I remember when we were doing GBs for the PS3 405nm diodes, and now look, there are 405nm pointers on eBay for 10 bucks! These lasers will start off here, then at laser suppliers (they're already at WL), then they'll be all over You Tube, and finally they'll make it onto eBay for cheap. There is no stopping it.

So, Kip if you read this, make a vid! Electronics are cool, lasers are cool, DIY is cool! In any event at least we're among the first in the world to have 445nm laser pointers. That, IMO, is killer.

Unfortunately my stupid friends could care less and think you can change the color of a red laser with a colored filter (facepalm).

-Tony

After seeing this response, I think you're even more ignorant than he is.

After seeing this response, I think you're even more ignorant than he is.

Look all I'm saying is that he get's people into making stuff.

I know most of his vids are crap and his projects are ill designed and unsafe. But I guarantee you that he has brought many members to this forum, indirectly that is.

-Tony

mfo

Look all I'm saying is that he get's people into making stuff.

I know most of his vids are crap and his projects are ill designed and unsafe. But I guarantee you that he has brought many members to this forum, indirectly that is.

-Tony

So, then why would you want him to add to that list of unsafe videos, especially when we're dealing with 1W lasers now?

I agree with you, but his Maglite DVD laser was just as dangerous. Both can blind you instantly. It's not like a 12 year old can successfully make this laser. As of yet the diodes are not regularly available. He'd be pretty irresponsible to not justify the danger of these diodes, but the way I see it, if you're smart enough to make the laser you should have enough sense not to look into it.

-Tony

mfo

I agree with you, but his Maglite DVD laser was just as dangerous. Both can blind you instantly. It's not like a 12 year old can successfully make this laser. As of yet the diodes are not regularly available. He'd be pretty irresponsible to not justify the danger of these diodes, but the way I see it, if you're smart enough to make the laser you should have enough sense not to look into it.

-Tony

You're contradicting yourself. You admit his maglite mod was "just as dangerous". You're admitting this video will probably be dangerous as well by your "just as dangerous" statement. Again, I ask why would you want another dangerous video to the list? Also, age has nothing to do with lasers, further proving your ignorance. There's a lot of smart 12 year old kids out there that are more than capable of doing just that. Also, you may be smart enough to not look into it, but are you smart enough to not try to piss people off with it by pointing it at them?

I get what you're saying. My only point is that his videos get viewers into making projects. Whether or not they're dangerous is another issue. Like I said he'd be pretty irresponsible to not justify the danger of these diodes.

-Tony

mfo

I get what you're saying. My only point is that his videos get viewers into making projects. Whether or not they're dangerous is another issue. Like I said he'd be pretty irresponsible to not justify the danger of these diodes.

-Tony

You can bet your behind he won't justify the dangers of this diode, as he hasn't done with any of the other ones.

I think the last thing the high-powered laser community needs is extra attention, whether from kipkays videos or any other source.

Kipkays basically the worst thing that can happen, hes providing build instructions with none of the warnings you'd get if you came here.

I love how in the cheapy bic video he points it at his face to light a cigarette, or how he fails to mention the existence and necessity of glasses.

Its kinda irrelevant how high power the laser is.. all the ones hes demonstrating can permanently blind without goggles, which is the largest danger of any laser, I havent seen any literature stating the blue is substantially more dangerous besides that it can cause skin cancer (I'm skeptical about the ability to "Burn flesh" as people have built multi-watt ir lasers and they were still fine, though im certainly not going to test it.)

mfo

You're prolly right. Did you see his latest vid?

YouTube - Hi-Power Nerf Cannon!

I like the part where the screw and cork take your eye out. :gun:

We'll just have to hope that nobody hurts themselves. But that's the internet for ya.

-Tony

Wow, so a flimsy plastic, low powered potato cannon. What an ass. Wait until the first one explodes in someones face from using too much fuel.

why dont we all write to youtube ? explain how lasers are dangerous
and can blind someone in less than a second . im sure youtube will AT LEAST make him put a warning ...

why dont we all write to youtube ? explain how lasers are dangerous
and can blind someone in less than a second . im sure youtube will AT LEAST make him put a warning ...

They get hundreds of those types of letters everyday complaining about videos showing how to make bombs, pick locks, make weapons, steal things....

Nobody can police the information on the internet.

-Tony

You're prolly right. Did you see his latest vid?

YouTube - Hi-Power Nerf Cannon!

I like the part where the screw and cork take your eye out. :gun:

We'll just have to hope that nobody hurts themselves. But that's the internet for ya.

-Tony

Hahahahaha!!!!!!
It seems other people agree with me.
I've got the highest rated comment! LOL! :crackup:
(I'm 36trooper on YouTube BTY)

-Tony