Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445NM Blown Diode

Qorx

My laser diode screwed up and it turned into an 'LED'. Do you think it would be wise to get a new driver for it as well just incase?

Here is the emission test photos;

Laser - Imgur

Here is what the laser consists of;

Laser. - Imgur

The driver is a 1.8A Mohgasm Driver.
The Diode is a M140 445NM.
The Host is a C6 AURORA.

Also;

When I brought my host it didn't come with the screw for the heatsink... What size is the screw I need one ASAP.

Last edited:

ARG

Would be best to identify the failure first, it will let you know what parts need to be replaced. The driver may be dead, driving it below the threshold current.

Last edited:

Qorx

Would be best to identify the failure first, it will let you know what parts need to be replaced. The driver may be dead, driving it below the threshold current.

How do we do that? Also i've already been told by a lot of others from a thread i posted a while ago that the Diode has turned to a LED.

ARG

Test the cells, check their voltage and take a tailcap current reading. Test the driver on a test load, or with an ammeter. Make sure it is running at the correct current.
If you find both the cells and the driver are working correctly you can assume the diode is dead.

No need to replace what isn't broken :)

Qorx

At the above 2 posts, I don't really know much about all that stuff.. and I don't have any of the equipments.

I think I should just replace the driver since they're not THAT expensive. And if the diode is still they way it is, I can assume the diode is broken.

What do you think?

That works. Or you could have one of us look at it.
Aren't there a few LPFers in the Sydney area?
If not, heck, I bet Dave Jones would be thrilled to
take a look at one of these.

Last edited:

ARG

All you really need is a multimeter - less than $20. Plus it's a great learning experience and a useful skill to have. :)

But if not, replacing the diode and driver would be the next best thing.

Qorx

If I buy a driver first, and the diode is broken.. Could that stuff the driver or no?