Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445 vs. skin

These guys are stupid. I've heard that since the wavelength of 445s are closer to the UV side of the spectrum, repeated exposure carries somewhat of a cancer risk. Is this true?

Last edited:

Would it work on a white person? Since black people are darker and all? lol jk jk

Benm

Oh drat, that video again!

And yes, it will work -better- on a person with dark/black skin, but even if you're caucasian putting your fingers in harms way of a 445/1watt beam will be painful.

and the necroposter with useless information strikes again:wtf:

It was a question not information?? 0.o lol and yeah I wasn't sure if it would really do much if your white, I mean that guy was kinda dark lol I wonder how long it would take to burn into white skin.

Benm

So far it hasn't caused me any real burns though - working with about 1 watt focussed for infinity. Getting a finger in the beam does feel painfully hot, but its not so bad that reflexes are too slow to retract it before you get a nasty burn.

Best thing to do is to minimize the power when you're working on dichro's, prisms and mirrors in the beam path. The downside of doing all that with goggles on is that you are hardly able to see the beam in the air - especially with unwanted stray and reflections around.