Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405nm Driver || Help!

Hi!

I'm in the middle of building a blue ray laser for a television show that wants to show how blu-ray dvd players can be hacked. (Don't worry: I'm making sure all safety info is disclosed.)

The problem I've run into is that the producers contacted me at the very last minute and I need to have this built in the next four days... I don't have a 405nm laser driver on hand, but I can only seem to find them in China on ebay - which will take too long to ship here. I could build one, but they aren't paying me enough for that kind of work...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a driver that can get the most power out of the LG Electronics WH16NS40 diode? (thanks for the details on its operating power guys: http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/murder-fund-wh16ns40-16x-blu-ray-bdr-bdxl-burner-87919.html)

My ideal would be an adjustable 0-1A constant current driver that I can get overnight shipped.

THANK YOU for your recommendations. You guys are so passionate and it's been a real pleasure digging through your forums!

diachi

Hi!

I'm in the middle of building a blue ray laser for a television show that wants to show how blu-ray dvd players can be hacked. (Don't worry: I'm making sure all safety info is disclosed.)

The problem I've run into is that the producers contacted me at the very last minute and I need to have this built in the next four days... I don't have a 405nm laser driver on hand, but I can only seem to find them in China on ebay - which will take too long to ship here. I could build one, but they aren't paying me enough for that kind of work...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a driver that can get the most power out of the LG Electronics WH16NS40 diode? (thanks for the details on its operating power guys: http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/murder-fund-wh16ns40-16x-blu-ray-bdr-bdxl-burner-87919.html)

My ideal would be an adjustable 0-1A constant current driver that I can get overnight shipped.

THANK YOU for your recommendations. You guys are so passionate and it's been a real pleasure digging through your forums!

I don't really like the idea, but as long as you're covering safety, that's good... :beer:

How about an LM317 driver? You can throw an LM317 driver together in 15 minutes. May even be able to get the parts locally.

Last edited:
I don't really like the idea, but as long as you're covering safety, that's good... :beer:

How about an LM317 driver? You can throw an LM317 driver together in 15 minutes. May even be able to get the parts locally.

That would be the last resort! I already bought the batteries (3.15v Li-ion) and didn't really size them to be using a linear regulator...

I had planned on using an o-like driver, but the producers haven't been able to purchase from o-like or even get in touch with them. Does anyone know what's going on with them? (O-Like can ship via DHL which can probably get here in time)

New 1W 445nm laser diode driver/adjustable to 1.5A [OL-445D-1.5] - $12.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

diachi

That would be the last resort! I already bought the batteries (3.15v Li-ion) and didn't really size them to be using a linear regulator...

I had planned on using an o-like driver, but the producers haven't been able to purchase from o-like or even get in touch with them. Does anyone know what's going on with them? (O-Like can ship via DHL which can probably get here in time)

New 1W 445nm laser diode driver/adjustable to 1.5A [OL-445D-1.5] - $12.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Yeah, fair enough, had a feeling that may be the case. Where are you located? There may be someone on here that's located in your country that can overnight you a driver.

May need to e-mail O-Like for a paypal invoice or whatever - I recall their checkout system being a bit flaky. Perhaps a holiday in China at the moment or something and that's why you can't reach them?

I'm in America (North Carolina).

You might be right about the holidays in China thing. hmm

Thanks for your quick responses!!

diachi

I'm in America (North Carolina).

You might be right about the holidays in China thing. hmm

Thanks for your quick responses!!

OK - Lots of members here that are in the states that may be able to help you. Hopefully one of them will chime in! :D

And no problem!

diachi

Ehhh... I'd be careful using any sort of LED driver, especially with a 405nm diode. The output is often noisy on an LED driver - LEDs don't care about that, laser diodes on the other hand like a nice clean current regulated supply.

ah. Are there any other vendors that you guys love who might have this sort of product?

Survival Lasers looks great. Their adjustable current driver Survival Laser Driver seems pretty good, although I'm worried it only drives up to 6v which might mean I don't hit the peak power that the laser is capable of. Buck driver also means I have to do 2 cells in series which isn't a big deal.

If you have any other vendors, I'd love to hear about them! This was a great suggestion! Thank you!

Hi,
ok get in touch with DTR and ask him for a Nano x Drive set to 500ma by resistors. This driver is a bucking and boost and is the best for the 12x and the 16x 405nm diodes.
I use them for the 405's and they are flawless and no heat sinking is needed and it will run your diode at a safe current He is here in the states and you can get next day delivery for a cost if time isn't on your side..

Rich:)

Rich beat me to my recommendation. You'll find DTR on google at DTRLPF. He's very easy to talk with and will do his best to see you are getting the best as fast as can be done.

94Z28

I'm in NC but only have 1.8A drivers right now sorry.. soon I'll have some adjustable on hand.

DTR

He hit me up earlier. Think he is all sorted out now.:beer: