Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

405-g2 lens questions

absolutely right RA_pierce thats why im using this lens on my 12x build. My 445 builds are strictly focused with aixiz glass lens since it does a much better job a cleaning up the multimode output. I will say with a 12x, the gains are visibly and burn-ably (even a real word??) noticable. I can get over the wings and minor scatter around the dot (now that i have it facing the right way) but along with my observations and recommendations from the forum, the aixiz 445/405 glass lens is pretty much the way to go for 445 diodes. the scatter at with a 445 and the 405-g2 lens is pretty noticable at night...more so than with a 405 blu-ray, it makes visable halos around the lens nut if its almost pitch black dark.

overall for around 34 bucks cost to me, the 405-g2 in a aixiz lens nut is a great deal and i might just make a couple more for my 6x which really needs it as i have been spoiled by 12x power with this lens.

lens was never touched by my hands, tweezers only. I have the round part of the lens facing the diode, and yes it is damn close to it... im thinking between 2-3mm from the diode window. and this is a 405 12x diode. Also, what do you recomend as a cleaning solution for the lens, if i use a microfiber q-tip (made for cleaning lens) with a little bit of denatured alcohol, is that safe for the AR coating?

Yes, glasses polisher that has a tiny bit of Ethyl alcohol will work fine. microfiber is what you should use! DO NOT use a Q-tip as you will scratch the AR coating!

I see that the G2 lense is a favorite on these boards - can anyone point me in the right direction where I can go researching lenses. I'm gathering information to purchase a 405nm as per my thread here and given the large amount of divergence and my need for burning I'm concerned about how to make the right choice for lens - or if there is such a build that could house two separate lenses depending on the function you needed the laser to perform.

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

I see that the G2 lense is a favorite on these boards - can anyone point me in the right direction where I can go researching lenses. I'm gathering information to purchase a 405nm as per my thread here and given the large amount of divergence and my need for burning I'm concerned about how to make the right choice for lens - or if there is such a build that could house two separate lenses depending on the function you needed the laser to perform.

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

There is really no need for a build that could house two separate lenses. You can just get both a 3 element and a G2 and unscrew one and screw in the other anytime you want, its that easy.

For 405nm builds I recommend using G2 lenses, in fact I think G2s are best suited for 405nm laser use over just about any other wavelength. 405s aren't very good for distance pointing so the small loss in divergence won't be noticed and the output increase would be noticeable.

There is really no need for a build that could house two separate lenses. You can just get both a 3 element and a G2 and unscrew one and screw in the other anytime you want, its that easy.

Ah well.. thanks! No need for concern then haha.

For 405nm builds I recommend using G2 lenses, in fact I think G2s are best suited for 405nm laser use over just about any other wavelength. 405s aren't very good for distance pointing so the small loss in divergence won't be noticed and the output increase would be noticeable.

In these pictures and videos I'm really starting to notice that. The colour is incredible but for distance pointing its awful when compared with blue and green lasers of similar wattage (output).

Yeah, though in reality the color of 405nm is usually less visible since cameras tend to see it better than humans can and at a distance the dot is so faint its pretty much useless. For distance I suggest 532/520nm(green) or 650/638nm(red). 445nm lasers work fairly well at distance but are mainly for burning and spectacular beams. On the other hand 405nm is very fun to point on anything that is glow in the dark or that reacts to blacklight.

Last edited:
Yeah, though in reality the color of 405nm is usually less visible since cameras tend to see it better than humans can and at a distance the dot is so faint its pretty much useless. For distance I suggest 532/520nm(green) or 650/638nm(red). 445nm lasers work fairly well at distance but are mainly for burning and spectacular beams. On the other hand 405nm is very fun to point on anything that is glow in the dark or that reacts to blacklight.

What is the difference between distance and Spectacular beam.

If I understand correctly Spectacular beam would be better for pointing out a star but Distance would be good for seeing the dot far off?

445nm lasers make super visible beams. A byproduct of making super beams is that a large amount of power is lost as the beam travels through the air. 2W 445nm lasers have so much power that they can still travel long distances while making insane beams. On the other hand 405nm lasers lose massive amounts of power into a beam that your eyes cant really see anyway and don't travel very far because of this. Not to mention even if they didn't lose much power through the air they are still so dim to human vision that they would be difficult to spot at a distance anyway.

Basically... yes to your last line.