Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

4000 watt laser !!

I have a couple of friends that have a 4000 watt laser cutter and they just replaced the tube with a new unit.
when they were installing it they gave it a full power burst for 5 seconds into the shop wall, WOW!!!!!!! metal wall went red hot and burnt up then it hit the insulation and melted that.

the cutter will cut 1 inch steel at about 10 feet a minute.

if you guys would like to see this thing in action I can shoot some video and post it.

I am hoping to get my hands on the old tube and take it out of the metal box and hang it on my wall.

If it's designed like I think it is, the resonator is that metal container. I saw a Trumpf cutter built and they mounted mirrors at the end of a large metal tube and pressurized it.

anselm

Because they can! :crackup:
Purely for teh lolz.
Wouldn't you? Come on...

I agree it is very irresponsible though.

I would think just pointing your face at the dot of 4000w could blind you through your eyelids.

mod101

It would be a crime to not post a video of this!
Please post!

I would think just pointing your face at the dot of 4000w could blind you through your eyelids.

Not really, what he is talking about is a CO2 laser. They run at a very very deep IR wavelength and almost everything is opaque to that wavelength. The laser would burn through your eyelid, through your cornea, through all the juices before any damage was done unlike a visible wavelength laser that just passes straight through the cornea to your retina.

Still probably not a good idea to point it directly at the wall like that, but it won't blind you through your eyelids from looking at the dot.

I've never seen a 4000W CO2 tube, there's usually some sort of resonator involved with powers like that. What were the dimensions of the tube that was replaced?

^All lasers have a resonator. It's just another word for the part that amplifies. From what I've seen, they're generally more of a large metal cylinder than any chinese tube you've seen before.