Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3w 445 Modded nerf laser host.

Giannis_TDM

When I received my cyan I was ecstatic to see that Rich also sent over a still canned NUMB06 LD. I didn't have a driver for it but I wanted to test it because I haven't seen such powerful blue so I whipped up a quick 2 Lm317 in the parallel driver and a small diode protection board consisting of 1 electrolytic 1 ceramic,100ohm discharge resistor, 2 silicon diodes, and 2 Schottky ones with a small SMD capacitor. Pics the test setup can be seen below:
JPEG_20200620_162725.jpg
JPEG_20200620_163933.jpg

Then 2 days after I moved on with jamming it all into a nerf gun. The summary is that I needed to make an 11.5mm brass adaptor 12mm ID to fit the module and then reduce the 15mm pipe diameter enough so I could press in the module with thermal paste and all this needed to be done with no power tools just sandpaper..... The result was that my hands still have a ton of marks and are leaking puss out of 3 spots. Anyways getting to the electrical part, For switching the driver on and off I chose a small relay that I attached a small clicky mouse switch to then I connected a battery connected indicator LED and modified the driver to fit inside. I also changed the heatsink of the driver to a smaller alu one since the one I had before didn't fit and was too overkill, Also for extra cooling I attached the back half of the module and pressed it into a 16mm heatsink with thermal paste that helps to wick away the heat faster from the diode. This is the initial prototype construction:
IMG_20200623_214001.jpg

Then this is it now finished! and let me tell you that relay makes the most satisfying clicking sound I've ever heard!
IMG_20200624_165025.jpg
IMG_20200624_165033.jpg
IMG_20200624_165018.jpg
JPEG_20200624_165229.jpg

JPEG_20200624_165237.jpg
JPEG_20200624_165249.jpg

The battery pack is just 2 18650s in series.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Hi G
Glad you put the 06 to use that backyard build is awesome see what an imagination will get you
Well done buddy thanks for sharing
Rich:)

Reactions: GSS

Giannis_TDM

Hi G
Glad you put the 06 to use that backyard build is awesome see what an imagination will get you
Well done buddy thanks for sharing
Rich:)
Thanks! A huge plus that I have noticed with using a relay and a diode protection board together with a mouse switch Is that I can pulse the diode rapidly myself without damaging it! And beam shots incoming In 2 hrs. Also, I have not de canned the diode as I want It to last so I am using the stock G ball, I find it acceptable enough.

Giannis_TDM

Hard to believe you're 14. Many can learn from this kid.
Yep, I am somewhat inactive on LPF and just post my projects sometimes, I am more active in the styropyro discord server when I am on about 6-10hrs on the daily helping people in the lasers channel and keeping them from frying diodes and blinding themselves. To give you an idea of how active I am on there I have 40.174 messages of which 22.012 are in the lasers channel. And for my knowledge, most of it came from experimenting killing LDs and drivers then figuring out why they were killed exactly and how I can prevent that in the future and I am happy to say that I haven't blown a diode for months then the rest came from reading papers reading old threads on lpf and from my friend Zenodilodon! He is a great man that has taught me a lot both In electronics and Laser diodes, DPSS, and gas lasers! Also small detail I have turned 15 since March.

Coonie

I don't know how you can stand that discord. So cancerous ... but maybe it's good you're there to steer people in the right direction who seem to come in hordes after watching a styropyro video -_-