Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3D red blue glasses block laser light?

Hello everyone.

So today I made a bit of a discovery. I got some 3d glasses (the red blue type) and shone my 100mw green laser through it. When it went through the cyan one, it went straight through, no blocking there. Then when I put it through the red one, it blocked it completely! Only a very very small amount of the light got through. When looking down from a angle towards the laser through the red plastic, I can see the IR light as red, but can hardly see the green.

If I hold the red lens to my eyes and look at the spot on the wall or something, it appears as a very small white dot, and doesn't look too powerful, I cannot see the beam, or any of the spatter around the spot. This plastic works as a sort of laser goggle, and if I got 2 and glued them onto a small pair of spectacles, would they work as safety glasses and block green? I do not intend on using them as protection, just curious about whether it would work :)

Last edited:

I used to use my magenta and green glasses (the magenta side) to block the green on my greenies. Gives you an excellent look at the bleeding through ir. I made a post about it a while back.

Yh it dont block IR at all, good way to filter out the visible light though. What sort of things (around the house) block IR light?

Apparently perspex blocks IR quite well, that is what many CO2 laser cutter shields are made out of.

One thing important about googles is that they don't melt from their filtering, or at least not melt until you can get out of the way. That thin red filter on those 3D goggles would probably melt after much exposure. If you're going to use cheap-ass 3D glasses, you might as well just get one of those cheap-ass red laser enhancement goggles instead. At least those enhancement goggles are thicker and less likely to melt than that 0.25mm thick filter on those 3D goggles.

Either way they're going to suck for viewing anything else because it's such a pain in the ass to see stuff through those red filters. Half of a good pair of laser protection goggles is in being able to see other wavelengths you're not protecting against. That's why I never suggest anything less than one of those orange filtered laser goggles like that Eagle or ARG pair.

:banghead:

Yes, red tinted goggles will work to block green light to some degree. Is it worth risking your eyes over? NO.

Let me reiterate. HELL NO.

Spend the $5-$10 on Uvex, or at least the red goggles from china. If that's not an option, don't play with lasers.

Personally I used Eagle pair... my ARG's hinge broke.

I tested a few things when I first got my LPM here are my results

800mW 445nm + Sunglasses= 75mW (not particularly safe but its better than 800mW)

3D glasses blocked red/green 100mW or so completely

800mW 445nm + 3D glasses = Instant melt

In other news I got some $30 IR blocking goggles off Ebay and they work great for 400mW 808nm

another weird thing I noticed is that IR to me looks like a Dim 650nm even when compared side by side so it is very interesting to look through red blocking goggles and have it look exactly the same but yet I look through clear goggles and it disappears ! Then burning stuff seemingly by magic makes IR lasers a great fun for a little while

that's all, k bye