Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3D Printing

Oh yeah? Where? If you go to shapeways.com you will be paying a lot more than 20 cents a gram. Anyone who charges this low is nuts.

Shapeways charges on a fee per part plus a certain amount per cm^3 of material plus a cost for machine time. So the total cost per cm^3 after you've paid the part fee is less than 50 cents per cubic centimeter.

For example they charge this for the plastic that I would want:

$2.50/part
$0.28/material cm3
$0.21/machine cm3
+ shipping costs.

At $1.50 per gram (should be by volume not mass) your pricing is not at all competitive.

Last edited:
not only that, but standard 1kg spools are about 50$, which comes out to 5 cents per gram. Charging $1.50 per gram to "cover print time" is a bit ridiculous- you don't have to do anything. You load the file and go do whatever you want for a few hours. And don't try to argue these points, I work with several 3D printers on a daily basis. If you are wanting to provide a service thats one thing, but trying to make a load of money of 3D printing is another thing entirely.

Last edited:
I am not arguing one bit. I updated my price to be a bit lower than shapeways. I am not trying to get rich here lol. I just didnt know what price would be fair.