Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

3D Printed Sharp GH04850B2G Build

MrMcChicken

Hi everyone, I got a few of these new Sharp diodes and decided to use one for a build. I had no fitting boost driver around, so I build one. It doesn't look that pretty, but it works perfectly. The input voltage can go down to 2.8V, so it works with a singe Li-Ion cell. Since I wanted the laser to be somewhat small, I decided to use 16340 batteries.
The host was completely 3D printed and is held together by screws. To make this laser eye safe, i have decided to have it run just at the threshold current. So it is very dim, but handling and showing it to other people is totally safe. However, I build in a little secret that will make it output 50mW. By connecting two screws of the housing I can get it to run at full power, in the case I need a bit more light for different things.

I have attached a few pics of the build.

1. Diode driver, switch and diode module.
2. A look inside.
3. Low power mode on a piece of paper.
4. High power mode for beam shots.

I really love this wavelength and hope you like this little build too. :)

Greetings :)

Attachments

Last edited:

deadshadow

very nice and you made it all by yourself,i liked the part that you can make it stronger with just a connection of 2 screws.

Richie89

thats really cool! i really like intresting builds like this :)
+rep incoming

paul1598419

Interesting build. I have had a lot of experience with this diode now. I do prefer to have them output over 100 mW and keep the wavelength stable. Then you have a visible beam and not just a dot to look at. I guess 3D printing quality depends on the 3D printer and the abilities of the person doing the printing. This looks like a pretty good first effort. Thanks for sharing it. :yh:

Last edited:

MrMcChicken

Thanks all :). 3D printing is really nice for low power lasers because you can make what you want. I wanted to design a host which is easy to assemble. The layer height is 0.2mm and I used PETG filament.

grainde

Very cool and nice clean print! I like the colours too, matches the beam. :) :beer:

lasersbee

Hi everyone, I got a few of these new Sharp diodes and decided to use one for a build. I had no fitting boost driver around, so I build one. It doesn't look that pretty, but it works perfectly. The input voltage can go down to 2.8V, so it works with a singe Li-Ion cell. Since I wanted the laser to be somewhat small, I decided to use 16340 batteries.
The host was completely 3D printed and is held together by screws. To make this laser eye safe, i have decided to have it run just at the threshold current. So it is very dim, but handling and showing it to other people is totally safe. However, I build in a little secret that will make it output 50mW. By connecting two screws of the housing I can get it to run at full power, in the case I need a bit more light for different things.

I have attached a few pics of the build.

1. Diode driver, switch and diode module.
2. A look inside.
3. Low power mode on a piece of paper.
4. High power mode for beam shots.

I really love this wavelength and hope you like this little build too. :)

Greetings :)
Since the output is near Threshold there won't
be any heating issues... Nice first 3D build.

Jerry