Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

30's Eveready Mod...

jayrob

This is one of my new favorite builds... :cool: (I'll be selling a few of these - send me a PM if interested)

I'm using the same 3 Amp driver and similar build style shown for my Ray-O-Vac mod. (details of that build shown here)

Eveready 1.jpg

The difference in this one, is that I needed to find a reflector that I could get to fit the smaller head. I ended up using a reflector from the RL-2088 (Frankenstein) host.

It still needed to be machined down to fit, and some other custom machine work on a custom heatsink, etc...

The driver is 8 X AMC7135 chips, but the new V2 driver uses 380mA chips vs 350mA chips normally.

So it puts out 3 Amps... :)

Eveready 2.jpg

Eveready 3.jpg

I love the thick beveled glass lens among other features... :D

The beam is excellent...

Just took these two shots to show how the beam is! :beer:

Eveready 4.jpg

Eveready 5.jpg

Did the same thing with this C sized Vintage Eveready light from 1924! :cool:

Eveready 8.jpg

It's a lot smaller, and a lot less room in the head too...

After quite a bit of machine work to re-size a reflector, and make a perfect fitting heatsink as large as I could, I couldn't be happier with the result! :)

* XM-L U2 emitter
* V2 7135 2 mode driver (3 Amps on high)
* 25500 Li-Ion protected cell

The heatsink for the emitter and driver is still decent sized at 1.1 inches in diameter by about .800 in. tall...

Plus it buts up to the aluminum reflector which does aid in heat management.

Eveready 9.jpg

Eveready 10.jpg

It's a sweet little light - 1000 lumens... :D

Click here to see my list of projects and tutorials! :)

Last edited:

Blord

Man, that is a sweet host. New technology in an old fashion jacket. :)

Last edited:

jayrob

Yeah it's in really good shape considering how old it is...

Few scuffs and a couple dings here and there, but I'm very happy with it! :)

Last edited:
Very nice. Yeah I've seen the Ray-O-Vac Mod you offer and that's what I was slightly referring when I said "these" and "them" :) I'd love to pick one up sometime I just have to let my hobby budget recover from the Big Boy GB among others :whistle:

jayrob

Yeah it's an addicting hobby...

Flashlights and lasers kind of go hand in hand for me.

I don't even want to try and think about all the money I've spent on these hobbies! :shhh:

Last edited:
So surprised to see these Eveready's here at LPF! These were widely used in my country(India) in the early 90's, and there were also much larger versions (4 D or maybe even 6 D cells) made with reflectors that will dwarf the current generation of flashlights. Thanks for bringing me back the childhood memories!

Last edited:

jayrob

I really like the quality of this one... (made in 1939)

And the smaller one was made in 1926! :cool:

Last edited:

jayrob

:bumpit:

I've found 4 or 5 hosts just like the D sized one shown in this build thread that I will be building and offering for sale if anybody is interested... :)

They are in great condition. They have the flat lens in front instead of beveled. They are from 1939, and a couple from 1929.

Send me a PM if interested! :cool:

jayrob

Save one of the bigger ones for me ;)

I'm sure I'll have one for you... :D

Just let me know when your ready! :beer:

Here's some of the other ones that I have so far: :cool: (alongside the one that I already built, which is shown in the first post)

Eveready%2011.jpg

Eveready%2011.jpg
[/QUOTE]

hey jay, I have one exactly like the black one in your picture.. Have you noticed how when you screw the cap on and off while the light is on, that it focuses the light? I like how it has the switch where you can just press it for a momentary switch or press it forward to keep it on. The old one I have is probably from my grampa, and in about the same condition as yours.

jayrob

hey jay, I have one exactly like the black one in your picture.. Have you noticed how when you screw the cap on and off while the light is on, that it focuses the light? I like how it has the switch where you can just press it for a momentary switch or press it forward to keep it on. The old one I have is probably from my grampa, and in about the same condition as yours.

Yes some have a spring loaded bulb that will move in or out depending on how far the tail cap is threaded on...

But in this modification, that is no longer the case. This is a fixed focus modification.

That said, there is really no need to focus! With the XM-L emitter at best spot focus, you will still have plenty of side spill, and never will want to try to change the focus. :)

My 1000 lumen Mag mod is focusable, but you never use the focus except to get it dialed in for best spot...

Last edited: