Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

300mW green can do harm from several meters?

btc5

Yesterday I was returning with friends from survival party and having no torch, we used his 300mW laser as illuminator to search for his missing phone. Partially good idea because this 300mW has only a direct beam and no dispersed beam. Accidentally he turned his laser toward one of our friend searching 10 meters away. It was just a moment only...:mad::mad:.. our fellow was blinded a while but we are wondering if green could be big harm from that distance?

udanis

Yesterday I was returning with friends from survival party and having no torch, we used his 300mW laser as illuminator to search for his missing phone. Partially good idea because this 300mW has only a direct beam and no dispersed beam. Accidentally he turned his laser toward one of our friend searching 10 meters away. It was just a moment only...:mad::mad:.. our fellow was blinded a while but we are wondering if green could be big harm from that distance?

Your english is pretty bad.....but If I am reading that correct.......A 300mw laser can in fact damage your eyes if it makes contact.

Your English not that bad though. :)

If the laser is truly rated at 300mW, yes, it would have done permanent damage.

I would recommend your buddy to go see a doctor.

However, more often than not, cheap "300mW" rated lasers are less than 30mW, and in this case, the "overestimation" was helpful.

Cheers. :beer:

Your English not that bad though. :)

If the laser is truly rated at 300mW, yes, it would have done permanent damage.

I would recommend your buddy to go see a doctor.

However, more often than not, cheap "300mW" rated lasers are less than 30mW, and in this case, the "overestimation" was helpful.

Cheers. :beer:
Keep in mind that with the divergence a DDPS 300mw laser at 10 meters has a dot size > 1 cm meaning that the whole power is then spread on 1cm instead of 1-3mm so that the same point will only receive a small part of the initial power.

The second thing is that at a distance if the laser is moving, the exposure time is really short and the laser is gone since a long time when you blink. Especially as the only way to see something with a laser is to "scan" the ground really fast.

Moreover an exposure of 0.250s at 10mw only causes damages to 50% of the population which is not always permanent and that 300mw also contains IR which is not focused. A friend got a reflection in a mirror with a 50mw green laser not IR filtered at short range and only got a dot during two days in his eye.

Last edited:

hoo7h

Man you could of used a flashlight !
Why do people always take laser injuries as a joke

ugh yes. just dont get it into your eyes! to calculate if it is dangerous for your eyes should only be done for lasershows. not for pointers...
divergence and stuff like that, dont learn it for pointer use ^^

but for your friend i made some simple calculations and think he might be save. Let him do a eye check though.
300mW at 10meters is ofcource dangerous but if it was a really quick flash it might not have been a lasting effect. Remember that the more still a laser is the more damage it can do.

Last edited:
safety is the first when we use laser ,and i suggest you buy a safety gogglses,so that ensure you safety especially eyes !

thats only for burning stuff and experimenting. for shining in the dark the goggles are the most useless ever ^^