Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[30 Colors] Beam Combiner + Beamshot

Re: [UPDATE: Finished] Yellow Beam Combiner + Beam

Alright, final part of the project.  From start to finish of producing a 16 color beamshot.

First step was to wire up some TTL control and a microcontroller for the lasers:
dscn5986ck7.jpg

It was a bit of a squeeze, but I managed to fit in a 5V regulator dropped through two diodes along with a pair of transistors and potentiometers.  The microcontroller is an Arduino.  I have some PICs but this was much easier to set up and code for a temporary project.

dscn5989xz5.jpg

A total of 12 lines of code later and I have the brightness of both lasers controlled via the potentiometers.  The brightness is nowhere near linear (Pretty much the full brightness range is to be had within the first 20% of the turn) but I didn't feel like over complicating things.

dscn5996dt5.jpg

Turning down the brightness on the green let me take an operating photo that wasn't completely overpowered by the laser.

From here I set up a tripod and took a total of 16 pictures, turning up the green just a tiny bit between each one (and for the last picture I turned the red off entirely).
dscn6022vr8.jpg

I had to be careful for the photography, I needed pictures with a strong well defined beam but absolutely no background so that I could composite them into a single image.
To accomplish this, I blocked out every scrap of light from the room via towels/pillows and waited for it to become dark outside.  I then covered the module with black paper and had the beam shine into a box made of black paper to trap any light from the dot.  Exposure was 1 second on a tripod.  This was made much easier with the low power beams, higher power lasers can light up the room even with precautions.

This produced 16 of these photos in varying colors:
capturezc1.jpg

Now this photo is definitely a product of photoshop however no colors have been altered in any way  I simply moved each beam shot around until it looked like a fan.
16colorec5.jpg

And there is the 16 color beamshot.  I must say that the laser looks much better in photographs.  In person you can see the green beam inside the red beam unless you are a few feet away.

I might replace the green with a blu-ray tomorrow and put together some more beamshots. I may also give green + blue a try and see how much green gets through the cube.

Re: [UPDATE2: 16 Color Beamshot] Yellow Beam Combi

I love the p'shop photo :) Looks like it worked out pretty well all round, I look forward to seeing this all built into a host.

Regards rog8811

Danjoo

nice construction, i like to play with combining beams. :cool:

daniel

Ace82

Cool! :cool: Now you need to incorporate a blu-ray... ::)

Here are the other two possible color combinations:

Red and Violet:
37505888mo5.jpg

This was with a 5mW red and a 100mW PHR so it was hard to get pictures where the violet didn't completely overwhelm the camera, this is probably my favorite color combination in person because the beam diameters are similar. You can get some bright pinks and fuchsias but digital cameras overstate the brightness of 404nm by a few orders of magnitude so its hard to get a picture of it.

Violet and Green:
87487093nj3.jpg

5mW Green and the same PHR from the previous photo. Green balanced against the violet better than the red. You can see some of the beam shots aren't fully combined, this is because the green beam has a diameter of like 1mm and the violet is ~5mm. In person it can make a beautiful aqua but you need to be far away.

bhank

man those are some awesome colors ya got there :D
this is kind of funny, i was just thinking of doing the same thing with a blu-ray PHR and red lol but I deffinately like the way you put it all together.
Very nice man