Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

3 Pin LD question

Recently, I've killed a bunch of LDs because of bad solder connections. I've been soldering the wires right onto the pins of the LD. I harvest my LDs from http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118003 . I once heard that you should keep the small flexible PCB and just cut off the extra so the PCB is just a small little circle and then solder your wires onto the PCB. The only reason I haven't tried this yet is because the negative pin and the "not used" pin (see picture) are connected together. Could I still use the LD if the negative and "not used" pins are soldered together? They would be connected to the negative of the battery, and the positive would be connected to the driver as normal.

PS: I will post some pictures of the actual diode with the PCB attached once I get another DVD drive.

Any ideas? :-/

pin%20out.jpg

I'd guess that if it works OK in the drive with those connections, It'll work for you. I don't use the board trick because I use 26 AWG stranded wire for connection and that is flexible enough to protect the LD wires.

Mike

Hemlock Mike said:
I'd guess that if it works OK in the drive with those connections, It'll work for you. I don't use the board trick because I use 26 AWG stranded wire for connection and that is flexible enough to protect the LD wires.

Mike

Ok, Thanks. I use 20 AWG solid wire, I think that's my problem. Has anyone had any experience with connecting the LD's the not used pin and the negative pin together? I would try it, but I don't want to take the risk. Has anyone done it before? :-? I've also heard of Blue-Ray burners being connected this way.

Ive done it before with one of my lasers, i sold it off and have not heard back from the guy who bought it so i assume its fine. It worked fine when i tested it.