Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2W M140 445nm Laser Diode

Thanks DTR,

I have one of the 1.8W diodes currently running at around 1.2 amps in an NES duckhunt gun. Just measured it on a spectra physics power meter and hit 1.4W. This is mostly due to poor collimation/focusing on my part (I got some silver paint in the way somehow:thinking:). Anyway, this guys just got taken apart today to conduct some real science. Heres a few shots of it in action. I notice you have some 6W+ diodes :drool:, might be time for a new build.... I will probably pick one of these up in the near future and do something with it. The power meter I have access to can measure up to 100W, so Id be glad to characterize it for you. Thanks again DTR for a great product! Been burning things for over a year without any noticeable degradation.

-joe

For those who are curious, the second image is of the laser directed at a 10nm thick film of LSMO under ultra-high vacuum in a cryostat. The big blue things are electromagnetic poles capable of producing a 1 Tesla field for measuring various properties of the sample. The laser is there to provide localized heating to see its influence on the local magnetic order of the material. It is not on currently as I am pumping down the pressure and temperature of the chamber, which takes way too long.

Attachments

• power-meter.jpg
    power-meter.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 221
  • laser-heating-moke.jpg
    laser-heating-moke.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 200

Jaker

Hello All!!

I would like to build my own lasers, this is a first time build for me and I was thinking about using the M140 that is already housed in a module w/ leads, and using a 1.8A X-Drive Bucking laser driver. Any recommendation on a suitable host w/ heatsink, preferably one with a safety feature like killswitch keys?

Also, what kind of battery is best? I have 18650 3.7V rechargeable batteries. Will these work? Will I need more than one?

I remember when the M-140 first came out, it was a real big step up from the little 1w, this thing could actually burn stuff easily and it was fun.
I still have several and they are solid diodes that last.
Here's a short video I recorded burning with one.....well over a year ago, I don't even remember when.

Last edited:

Jaker

Blue/Violet. Trust me, safety is my top concern. I have 2 children and the pointer I currently have has safety keys. If I cant find a host with this feature, I will convert the one I have.

Blue/Violet. Trust me, safety is my top concern. I have 2 children and the pointer I currently have has safety keys. If I cant find a host with this feature, I will convert the one I have.

If you have children I would not leave that laser laying around even with a key switch in the off position.
They sell those key switch housings on ebay but they are flimsy and I would not trust that crappy little key switch.
I would take the batteries out when ever you are not using it and never leave it laying around.
If you wanted to take it with you then you can get a plastic box made for your batteries to carry them in your pocket.
So if you never put the batteries in unless you intend to use it, and that's the safest way as long as you point it in a safe direction when putting in the batteries, then why not get a good housing that can provide the kind of heat sink that diode deserves?
You can get a good housing with a driver installed just add your diode for a great price but you really should not rely on those flimsy key switches for safety because they can lull you into a false sense of security. You might not pay attention to where you are pointing it thinking that little key switch makes it safe.
It's like a firearm, even with the safety on you always watch where you point it...right?
I'm not trying to give you a hard time or insult you at all, but because you said this is your first build I'm just reminding you to always treat a laser that can blind you in a flash with care. My point is YOU have to be the safety switch because one oops in the eye and it's no more eye.
If you want a good host you can get one here:
Budget Beams LLC

Last edited:
Hello All!!

I would like to build my own lasers, this is a first time build for me and I was thinking about using the M140 that is already housed in a module w/ leads, and using a 1.8A X-Drive Bucking laser driver. Any recommendation on a suitable host w/ heatsink, preferably one with a safety feature like killswitch keys?

Also, what kind of battery is best? I have 18650 3.7V rechargeable batteries. Will these work? Will I need more than one?
Hi! For the host and heatsink, just get any host and heatsink from anyone listed here. If you are on budget, I would recommend you to get the wf501b heatsink and host from budget beams. As for the safety features like key switch, there is really no need for it. Just remove the batteries after use. With regard to the batteries use, you have 2 use 2 li-ion 3.7v. For the wf501b host, you will need 2 16340 or 18350. Whatever you do, you have to get safety goggle like this. ( I would recommend you to get that)

Edit: I see that you are new here. Post a thread in the welcome section introducing yourself

Last edited:

Jaker

Thanks guys!! I am a first time builder but I hope I dont give the impression I'm just guy who wants sharks with freakin' lasers on their heads, lol!! I'm quite the physics enthusiast and I have a very real respect for how powerful this particular diode is and the damage the laser can do, 2Ws is no joke. My glasses are for blue/green wave lengths, 190nm-540nm with 55% transmittance. Thanks for the battery removal and safety key advise, I certainly wouldn't leave bullets in my guns. Or my guns outside of a safe for that matter (which is exactly where this pointer will be kept).

Anyway, didn't realize how extensive this forum is and this probably isn't the right thread for this, my apologies. So thanks again, and I'll see you in the welcome thread and elsewhere.

Thanks guys!! I am a first time builder but I hope I dont give the impression I'm just guy who wants sharks with freakin' lasers on their heads, lol!! I'm quite the physics enthusiast and I have a very real respect for how powerful this particular diode is and the damage the laser can do, 2Ws is no joke. My glasses are for blue/green wave lengths, 190nm-540nm with 55% transmittance. Thanks for the battery removal and safety key advise, I certainly wouldn't leave bullets in my guns. Or my guns outside of a safe for that matter (which is exactly where this pointer will be kept).

Anyway, didn't realize how extensive this forum is and this probably isn't the right thread for this, my apologies. So thanks again, and I'll see you in the welcome thread and elsewhere.

We all just want new hobbyist to be careful.
The M-140 is a tremendous bargain, but it's still quite powerful.
The good news is they are also robust and don't produce as much total waste heat, they are great diodes at a very affordable price, just be careful :)

Hello!
I'm first time here.
Thank you for such big information about lasers on your site!

I have a question:
How much costs a device (unit) for measuring power of the laser beam?
Can i purchase via this site?

Thx in advance!