Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2W laser to remove wasp's nest

Low-Q

I have recently removed a wasp's nest with a laser. Surprisingly, the wasp did not care about me, even from 1 meter distance. Very efficient way to remove those without being attacked by aggressive wasps.
The nest was located in a steel container at our rc airfield. I had to do it in order to get safe access to the lawn mover inside it...
I feel a bit sorry for those wasps though - struggeling to keep the queen safe. However, all the smoke and heat eventually forced the queen out, and she also got burned. Eggs popped and squirts yellow fluids all over the place...
I normally keep wasp's nest alone, but I had no choise this time.

Well I have seen lasers used to get rid of pests but personally I would have used a spray can of Raid as wasps & hornets can turn on you and get pretty nasty. I love honeybees & bumblebees though and have them walk all over me when I work in my flower gardens.
Glad you were able to get rid of the nest and not stung :beer:

I have recently removed a wasp's nest with a laser... Very efficient way to remove those without being attacked by aggressive wasps.

You know they have insecticide for this purpose, right? I can assure you the $1 insecticide works far better than a laser. I'd concede a laser is more fun though :eg:

You know they have insecticide for this purpose, right? I can assure you the $1 insecticide works far better than a laser. I'd concede a laser is more fun though :eg:
In my case, my wife is so violently allergic to chemicals and especially insecticides and herbicides, that the slightest whiff of them can be as dangerous or even more so to her than the sting of a wasp or hornet, so I think a laser would be my best choice if I needed to destroy a nest. The alternative choice, if the nest is in easy reach, is to wait for night time and total darkness when all the insects are inside the nest and then bag it in a heavy plastic bag and dispose of them that way.

Every summer it seems two or three wasps manage to get inside the house and, if I'm unable to shoo them out through an open door or window, I've found I can stun them with a shot of isopropyl alcohol from a spray bottle and then safely kill them.

Ed

Last edited:
I was stung by a wasp when I was a kid, the memory will stay with me forever. Insecticide may be more effective but I still would take pleasure in watching wasps burn. ;)

im having a major issue with crows right now, they keep eating all my figs so all i have to do is shine it near them and they get scared, luckly i dont have the wasp issue though.

Pman

I'm having a problem (well potentially) with 3 skunks. No I won't do anything to them.
One of my brothers has a bunch of stacks of hives and they should be about ready for some harvesting. Looking like at around 100 lbs or more of honey in the comb. Seems to be a pretty tricky thing to get into and takes years to figure out.

You know they have insecticide for this purpose, right?

A bit more environmentally friendly using a laser. I'm also assuming these are small golf ball sized nests. Not the football sized white faced hornet colony that will put you in an emergency room if you tick them off.

Ditto on only doing this if it's a necessity. I know some people are very phobic about bees and want any nest wiped out on site regardless of location or species, and this makes me mad. Bumble-bee and honey bee populations are under enough stress.

A bit more environmentally friendly using a laser.

You think a few grams of insecticide will have an effect on the environment? You must really hate farmers.

I know some people are very phobic about bees and want any nest wiped out on site regardless of location or species, and this makes me mad.

We're talking about wasps/yellow jackets here. Yellow jackets do not pollinate, and they are very aggressive - they'll sometimes sting unprovoked.

Last edited:
A bit more environmentally friendly using a laser. I'm also assuming these are small golf ball sized nests. Not the football sized white faced hornet colony that will put you in an emergency room if you tick them off.

Ditto on only doing this if it's a necessity. I know some people are very phobic about bees and want any nest wiped out on site regardless of location or species, and this makes me mad. Bumble-bee and honey bee populations are under enough stress.

But they're pests and damage the home. Not to mention people who are allergic to bees. Why not get upset with people who use mouse traps or the termination of ants, roaches and termites?