Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2W 445nm SH-032 (New :)

Re: 1.9W 445nm SH-032 (New :)

A little off topic yes lol I had one of those diving turtles that dies after a week. Only mine lived for 5 years and he did grow, he went from tiny to small :D

Edit: BTW +:beer: for ya shane nice pics. I just got a focus adapter for my sh-032 from flaminpyro. I like this laser a lot its pretty solid and heavy.

Yes, thank you. I really enjoy it. I did put a little more teflon tape on the threads to make it snug :p I tried using the EZfocus adapter, but the lens housing screws in too far and I can't focus the beam to less than a foot with it on. So, I did put the Focus Knob back on, untill I can find an o-ring to create a gap between the EZ focus adapter and the lens housing. I am just afraid that If I make it too far I am going to unseat the Diode...

I will have another review soon about the JayRob Star Trek Phaser. It is a gift for the biggest Trekky I know. Im sure my wifes father will do a back flip when he gets it on Xmas :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SUlGpmd3r4

Last edited:

The diode is firm in the module which Is held in the heatsink with a grub screw , if you tighten the lens until it bottoms out in the module and then some, the whole assembly backseats and becomes loose, too much teflon on the threads will also create resistance when screwing in the lense, causing the same problem, just be mindful of this.

Will do :) I just added one more layer around it. I can still focus it with the tip of one finger. I will watch out for changes. I will be also making some builds soon. Might even buy a projector and make 20 to sell/give away :) Been studying everything for a month now...

Last edited:

The diode is firm in the module which Is held in the heatsink with a grub screw , if you tighten the lens until it bottoms out in the module and then some, the whole assembly backseats and becomes loose, too much teflon on the threads will also create resistance when screwing in the lense, causing the same problem, just be mindful of this.

I dont see why then, we wouldnt design a plate to keep the backend of the module in place ( screw plate into heatsink holding module in place)... And, correct the thread lenth of the lens body so It wouldnt screw in too far. The diode set and heat sink are calculated, why not add into it, the lens depth into the module. It could be made to stop perfect at infinity... All these parts come from the best...

Won't filling the pill with Thermal Epoxy fix this problem?

No, the pill is threaded into the head of the host in this case. If you unscrew the top and look at the contact board on the outer rim you'll see 2 slots, one directly across from the other, these are there so you can unscrew the entire assembly with a spanner wrench, if you were to turn it counter clockwise the whole assembly will unscrew and come out. I'm not sure of the configuration of this particular build but I do know that if the pill is turned counter clockwise the slightest bit the heatsink will rattle around until the pill is once again tight. That being said I was very careful not to over tighten it.

Edit: the module is what holds the diode and the lense, the heatsink holds the module.
The problem here with this particular build is that the "guts" of this laser, module, heatsink, pill, etc. Will unscrew from the head of the host with little force applied

Last edited:

I'll take pics and show you what I'm saying. I don't want to cramp your (great :beer:) review so ill upload to my profile and pm you when they're up.

Please excuse my double posting transgression :whistle:

Let me see the pics. Im sure since mine is filled with epoxy then it cant move...

Hey bud, It can and will move, if it can be assembled it can also be dis-assembled.. I'm not trying to dog on your laser I have the same exact one from the same builder, (and I love it) I just wanted to warn you about this issue, (design flaw perhaps?) it freaked me out when it first happened. Anyways, pics are incoming in a bit, will let you know. :beer:

Ugh.. the bears lost to green bay.... maybe that's why I can't sleep...

FOR THE RECORD RdTech is a pro builder and an important asset to this community, I would recommend any one of his builds to anyone interested in owning a homebrew laser. I am and always have been extremely satisfied with his work. Congratulations to anyone who owns one of his awesome creations. Awesome review, awesome laser, awesome builder. Nuff said

It kinda annoys me the WL (Ick) says they sell the most powerful HLs ion the world yet, I've seen many the are stronger.... (Epic laser BTW)

I see what ya mean about the pill unscrewing now... I thought it was going to be a problem, but since it is filled with thermal epoxy the heatsink and driver move as one, so im not worried about wires getting twisted. I just tightened it up with a screwdriver that I keep in my glasses case. I would have never even had the problem, but I tried to use an extended focus knob with an external spring. It turned the heatsink when I got close... I ditched the spring and kept the survival laser extended focus :)

IMG_1762.jpg

Yea it was difficult tryin to explain the situation. It's not shoddy work, its just built like that. My adapter prevents it from happening.

Yea it was difficult tryin to explain the situation. It's not shoddy work, its just built like that. My adapter prevents it from happening.

What did you do, use a spacer in the threads? Brass retainer ring?

No, the adapter is screwed onto the lense nut so the lense only goes in so far until the adapter bottoms out Against the host, its not putting pressure on the heatsink. Still I don't crank it down too hard. There's a pic on my profile page with my sh-032 and adapter

7490-imag0136.jpg

Last edited: