Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2nd DIY using Pioneer BDR-205 12x LD~

Hi all!

I came to this forum some time ago and after much deliberation, I ordered jayrob's MXDL 4171 version 2 kit and got his 405-G-1 lens to power a BDR-203 8x LD...however, I decided not to take apart the BDR-203 due to laziness on my part and I used a much less expensive PHR diode instead. I just tested the DIY by pointing up in the night sky and WOOOW i was pretty amazed at how far this thing goes up to :)

Now, I plan to sell my BDR-203 blu-ray burner which has not even been opened or touched and purchase the BDR-205 blu-ray burner, at my local store in tokyo, instead for that 12x LD.

Now, I don't know how goooood this so-called 12x LD is so I'm a little skeptical, since I thought it would take at least 2 years or so before this 12x LD burner came out in the market.

Anyhow, getting to the point of my thread....

1) Hypothetically speaking, if i purchased this 12x diode, will the custom heat sink in jayrob's MXDL 4171 version2 kit be able to handle the heat dissipation that will take place as a result of a large current draw?

2) Will the customized driver, which was originally intended for the 8x diode to handle 460mA, be able to handle 800mA of current draw for this 12x diode?

I can purchase this blu-ray drive at Akihabara no problem, but...I have no idea about how to take it apart, so I may post some pics of the drive itself for some opinions...that is, if I purchase it.

The only thing is, how powerful is this 12x diode? I have read the thread about the Pioneer BDR-205, and I will read it again.

According to my plan, i just plan to adjust the potentiometer of the driver of my 1st DIY kit and just swap the PHR with the 12x diode when I get to that stage.

oooohh yeeaah~ this talk about more powerful diodes is really getting me high:evil:

You may need a driver that can handle that much current safely. That's a big step up from a PHR. I'd ask Daguin, Jayrob, IgorT, or a few others. They make their own drivers sometimes and are probably working on similar projects right now. I'm dying to get one myself. :D

Yes, Archienj7, I might need to make a new driver for this 12x diode. Actually, its my error...I guess 800mA is a bit too much current for this diode still. According to what LarryDFW found from a Sanyo article:

Graph of the 12x recording.
fig3.jpg

and it seems that the 12x diode "shows no kinks up through 600mW to 700mW optical output".

Which means i can set the driver to around 600mA perhaps...

I have 65% decided to purchase the BDR-205 tomorrow in exchange for my BDR-203. 35% chance i might not :D

IgorT has designed a driver that will power the 12x and was discussing marketing this new driver. He is the one to talk to.

IgorT has designed a driver that will power the 12x and was discussing marketing this new driver. He is the one to talk to.

Thanks for the info, :D but I'm going to build my own driver for this 2nd DIY. I plan to use jayrob's custom driver from my 1st DIY as the blueprint.

Heatsink is something I might have to consider from jayrob, just in case this heatsink is not good enough. I think it should be okay since I don't usually turn the Laser on for more than a minute or so.

I'm currently in japan right now and there seems to be some demand for these new model blu-ray players that are not yet available in the U.S. or Canada so I was wondering if anyone believes that providing a service, by having someone in japan purchase the products for them and shipping it to their address, very convenient?

daguin

Thanks for the info, :D but I'm going to build my own driver for this 2nd DIY. I plan to use jayrob's custom driver from my 1st DIY as the blueprint.
Heatsink is something I might have to consider from jayrob, just in case this heatsink is not good enough. I think it should be okay since I don't usually turn the Laser on for more than a minute or so.
I'm currently in japan right now and there seems to be some demand for these new model blu-ray players that are not yet available in the U.S. or Canada so I was wondering if anyone believes that providing a service, by having someone in japan purchase the products for them and shipping it to their address, very convenient?

It depends totally on the price/costs. They will be available, here in the US, later this month.

Peace,
dave

It depends totally on the price/costs. They will be available, here in the US, later this month.

Peace,
dave

If thats the case then whats the rush! :D

I've actually decided not to sell my BDR-203 and just use the diode from it since I would have to pay more to get the BDR-205. By the way, would you happen to know which of the leads of the 8x laser diode is the positive and which one is the negative? Also, regarding the custom driver that jayrob built for you, whats the maximum current you can set it to?

I'll keep on searching for that answer on the forum in the meanwhile.

Cheers

Okay I've already taken apart my BDR-203 today and put that 8x laser diode into my already built host!! Finally its done. So, I won't be getting the 12x laser diode :D

Btw, I set my driver to 365mA and I was pretty amaaaazed at the difference in visibility of the 405nm beam in contrast to the PHR-803T LD 405nm beam which wasn't as bright.

I after playing around with it in the dark for a bit by burning some things, my eyes kinda got screwed a bit. Had this purply dot in the center even when I closed my eyes...I'll probably buy a pair of glasses to not get affected by this beam.

daguin

Okay I've already taken apart my BDR-203 today and put that 8x laser diode into my already built host!! Finally its done. So, I won't be getting the 12x laser diode :D
Btw, I set my driver to 365mA and I was pretty amaaaazed at the difference in visibility of the 405nm beam in contrast to the PHR-803T LD 405nm beam which wasn't as bright.
I after playing around with it in the dark for a bit by burning some things, my eyes kinda got screwed a bit. Had this purply dot in the center even when I closed my eyes...I'll probably buy a pair of glasses to not get affected by this beam.

Please get them. With the 8X set at 365mA you are most definitely producing MORE THAN 400mW of violet light!!!!!!

Peace,
dave

Definitely get some glasses, that's a dangerous amount to mess with without any protection. I'm glad you got it going though. I'm wondering how much these 12x's can be pushed and if they are that much more powerful than an 8x, noticeable difference between the beam and all. An 8x is fine thing to have regardless, enjoy :D

jayrob

1) Hypothetically speaking, if i purchased this 12x diode, will the custom heat sink in jayrob's MXDL 4171 version2 kit be able to handle the heat dissipation that will take place as a result of a large current draw?

2) Will the customized driver, which was originally intended for the 8x diode to handle 460mA, be able to handle 800mA of current draw for this 12x diode?

The heatsink is plenty massive in that host...

The custom DDL driver is using a 1/2 watt pot and is good for up to 400mA's in that LM317 dirver circuit. It is just like the one I made for Dave's 512mW 8X blu-ray:
Glass%20405nm11.jpg

When you go for the 12X, check with IgorT for a driver that can go higher. (as was mentioned) I believe Dr. Lava is working on one too...

Can you buy 12X drives for a couple of LPF members if we want to test one or two? (figure out shipping and PayPal fees, etc...)

Tabish

You should ship the sled to IgorT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He can test it and make a PIV plot. (and hopefully not kill it lol)

Igor, you can probably test it till you find the "kink" and set a decent current and ship it back to him right?

I know I'm well hated here but I would like to be apart of this topic too.
How about using the big size Maglites for the diode and driver? Large enough batteries too no?

Edit: Plus it would be badass

Please get them. With the 8X set at 365mA you are most definitely producing MORE THAN 400mW of violet light!!!!!!

Peace,
dave

Thanks for your persuasive comment. I would rather lose a couple of bucks than to lose my eyesight to an inconsequential beam of light :yabbmad: so one of the first things on my shopping list would be one of those protective eye glasses.

I hope mine is producing as much as yours, like around 500mW! I could never tell since I don't own a calorimeter.

I wonder what I should challenge next as my DIY. Oh and yeah, I was wondering about the Red Laser Diode on the BDR-203 sled...how powerful is that LD? I haven't built a Red laser yet so it might be a good chance to consider using the leftover LD.

Cheers

The heatsink is plenty massive in that host...

The custom DDL driver is using a 1/2 watt pot and is good for up to 400mA's in that LM317 dirver circuit. It is just like the one I made for Dave's 512mW 8X blu-ray:
Glass%20405nm11.jpg

When you go for the 12X, check with IgorT for a driver that can go higher. (as was mentioned) I believe Dr. Lava is working on one too...

Can you buy 12X drives for a couple of LPF members if we want to test one or two? (figure out shipping and PayPal fees, etc...)

Yeah, I noticed that when I tried to increase the current draw setting past 400mA on the potentiometer on the driver, while I was measuring the current draw using my DMM, the DMM displayed only up to 400mA. Past the 400mA point, the DMM displays just 0. Which means the driver can handle a current draw of up to 400mA.

Cheers

jayrob

Actually, most likely your meter is limited to reading 400mA's. There are usually two settings on a DMM. One of 400mA's or less, and plug the probe in a different input for above 400mA readings...

The driver can be adjusted above 400mA's, but because it is a 1/2 watt pot, it is only recommended for up to 400mA's using an LM317. (ohms law)