Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

$29 laser diode (not a diode bar) that is 10 Watts?!?

rhd

Sorry Cyparagon - I'm still struggling with this a bit -

Wouldn't the IIIb classification also be determined by the Max Peak power?

Perhaps I'm confused because I'm used to thinking about peak power as being pretty close to what the typical power of a laser is. IE, people will identify a laser as having a peak of 250mW, and an average of around 220mW, etc.

So are you saying that this laser diode might have a peak of 10W, but an average power output that would be down below the 500mW cutoff for a Class IIIb ?

This probably has a CW power of <100mW. Pulsed diodes are pretty common, and can have high peak power, as this does. I've seen 70W peak diodes in a tiny package on Osram's site, if memory serves they didn't even have a metal can.

Toke

rhd

(The seller just added some new photos.)

Interesting, I love learning something new all the time :) If I can guess at what the danish translates into, I'm thinking:

Max faldetid 45ns
Maximum Rise Time 10ns

Means that the pulse can last for 10ns, and then the diode must rest for another 45ns before pulsing again?

If so, that would still seem pretty amazing in terms of effective power.

One hint is it ain't a $29 diode. The buy it now (what the seller will most likely end up sellling for, go ahead and bid on it and watch the immediate bid bumps) is $100!
But that still does not explain the Class IIIb and a Power rating of "8-11W". Something real fishy here. And, a power jump of <100mW continuous to "8-11W" peak pulsed is a bit of a leap IMO. Something not right...

joeyss

It could be pulsed. I have a book that tells me how to build a ten watt pulsed laser with a 904nm diode and it's around the same price. That seems to be the most likely explanation.

joeyss

Toke

rdh,
I think the
Max faldetid 45ns
Maximum Rise Time 10ns
refers to how fast the power can ramp up and down under really fast pulsing.
(There are applications where it matters.)

I read the datasheet some months ago and got the CW effect to app. 7mW, quite fitting for a package that size.

Anyway this does not beat the fibre coupled 20W I have just bought. :D
SPECTRA PHYSICS 20W LASER DIODE FIBER COUPLED - eBay (item 150576166104 end time Apr-11-11 10:31:06 PDT)
Whether I will actually get it powered up in a handheld is a different issue. :)

O.K. another stupid question: Does the Class IIIb sticker really mean anything since it is just the diode, not an assembled end product?? where is the key switch? How do you know what to believe? (o.k.,, three stupid questions. I told you guys, I'm a senile old fart)

rhd

The Class sticker should be able to apply to just the diode, since the class ratings don't (to my knowledge) have any relation to stuff like the FDA requirements etc (and in fact predate them).

I would love to undertake something like the SPECTRA PHYSICS 20W, or a pulsed laser head build, but I don't even know where to start. The real deal killer - I don't have IR glasses yet.

joeyss

Did anyone notice that on that auticion the label on the dioide picture says made in 83'?

I found a "pointer" datasheet that seems to use this diode. 10W for 200ns is 2µJ. They run it between 10Hz and 100Hz, which averages to 20µW and 200µW respectively. If you look at some of the MPE charts, you can see this is almost an acceptable level to shoot right in your eye, thus the 3B designation.

Last edited:

rhd

Lol, the minute your PDF loaded, I thought to myself:
"What on earth is THIS from? Must be that Amazing1 website I used to look at 15 years ago"...

Then I checked out the URL... WOW - I had no idea those guys were still around.