Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

264Mw MXDL from JayRob

I bought a open can 264,7 mw with a meredith acyrllic lens for burning from jrob. I've been very impressed with the laser and the service provided.

First off this is my first "proper" laser i have bought so I can't really compare it to anything i've owned, but that doesn't really matter. As i placed the order i decided to take an unusual approach when communicating with jay. I chose to appear as a young, poorly communicating person and see how he handles it, and handle it he did.

I wanted to do a proper review with pictures of everything but the camera battery died when i got the package so i got a few shots of the box itself but not much from the rest. When i actually started playing around with the laser, it was so much fun that this review got seriously delayed because i kept on burning things and taking pictures :) well never mind that let's get this review properly started.

Intial impressions

Jay was very easy to approach even as a completely unknown person, I'd only been lurking on the forums and not actually posting anything. Jay responded quickly, precisely and clearly on all of my communications with him, he even had a decent amount of patience since i had a bunch of payment delays.
Even as i was completely clueless regarding to what i actually wanted to buy jay knew for me (the meredith lens kicks ass!) and gave good, proper and ACCURATE advice. I work for techsupport i know how rare this is with accurate advice from anywhere. Big respect points scored!

My impressions only got enforced when the package finally arrived from the US. Finally and finally it took 8 days for the box to appear delivered to the door with 0 customs hassles. They even did a evening delivery :)

Only seeing the cardboardbox that the lazer was in got my heart jumping. The attention to detail was perfect, not even the most inbred postalworker could've accidentally mangled that box. No sirree. When i opened the box i was even more positively suprised everything was neatly packed and the batteries where even charged.

For a hobbyist it was looking extremely professional and i liked what i saw.
The contents were all there laser, lenscap, instruction booklet, batteries and charger.I really love that lenscap. The only even remotely negative thing was that the charger had US powergrid pins on it and not european. Honestly this is the only thing i can think of and even that isn't exactly jay's fault.

The megalazer

The first time i pressed the pushbutton and heard the high pitch whine of the electric circuit and saw the beam i was impressed, and very much so. Nice solid weight, not heavy and not flimsy so it doesn't shake alot (baaad thing for a lazer to do), also it is grooved as senkat pointed out so it doesn't roll on the table. The grooves have saved my laser more then once already.

The laser is specced at 264,7 mw and 470Ma with meredith acryllic lens and a 2.7 ohm resistor. Now i really don't know what it is "supposed" to burn but this baby can cut/melt thru floppy discs, binbags, sacrificial figurines made of foam plastic and light cigarettes. you name it. At first i was miffed when i learned that the lens will "eat away" 50Mw of PÖWER!, and i was wondering how it can burn better with less power. Now i am much wiser,since this babyfocuses down to smaller then a pinprick! we even posted a vid on youtube where we light a cigarette with it. The biggest challenge was to find the right lens setting for different distances.

Altho i ordered it as as a burner i can't say that i'm disappointed in the visibilty of this beast. I played around from my balcony a bit, lighted up office buildings at night 5km away from us. The dot was very visible on a windturbine 2km away. I'll post pics and you'll see ;)

Only thing i'm regretting is that i still do not have any protective goggles,but my regular glasses and not looking at the dot when working with has worked nicely for me. Altho i've been welding and doing other bright things before staring at a laser. Can't recommend it to anyone since this bugger is muchos muchos bright.

afterthoughts

All in all Jay has excellent service, quality product and a very nice "openness" about his builds. The service i received far outweighed any real company i've ever dealt with. 5/5 points jay! Aparently customer service isn't Dead in the US as long as it isn't outsourced to China and India

Godmonkey

PS Links and pics will be appearing shortly

Link to burning vid: .youtube.com/watch?v=2sYTH0gG5T4 (cant post direct links yet so add the www)
the vid isn't that good, i took it very soon after i got the laser and i didn't get it to focus properly then.

**EDIT** Found some new lens settings for the device, posting some pics of the carnage

Attachments

• P1010951-mini.gif
    P1010951-mini.gif
    270.5 KB · Views: 169

Was this a red or green laser? I couldn't see you say that in that long, thorough review you wrote :)

chido

Red, I guess this is pretty obvious.

PICS, PICS, PICS, PICS, post some PICS. ;D

red one

and pics are being rezised as i type so in 20 mintues or so :)

more pics

Attachments

• office_001.JPG
    office_001.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 201
exactly the thought that was running thru my head when i was doing that!

**edit added more pics**

Attachments

• P1010952-mini_001.jpg
    P1010952-mini_001.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 186

jayrob

godmonkey, thank you for taking the time to do such a detailed review! I'm very happy to know that you are not disappointed. :)

There is one thing that I have a question about... "heard the high pitch whine of the electric circuit". I have never heard anything before! Am I the only one? This point is new to me. But I know that the circuit is mounted very solid, so I don't think it could have been damaged or anything...

Never saw one light a smoke before either! Here's your video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sYTH0gG5T4

I like that tower shot too!

Thanks again!
Jay

P.S. He got the only extra charger that I had. (sorry about the plug being different. I didn't even think about that)

this is going to sound a bit strange but i "hear" electronics quite well. Been working with computers for many years now and at somepoint i just started to "hear" the flow of electricity in circuits. I don't think that it's been damaged either since that baby is burning like a pyromaniac at devils night (watch the Crow kids if you didn't make the quote).

The long range shots were also taken with poor focus it was one the first things i did with it.

one question Jay what is the minimum burningdistance with these optics? I'm having a hard time finding the "optimal" burningdistance

don't worry about the charger thing, i didn't come to think of it either :p

jayrob

That's the first I've heard of someone who can hear the driver! You must have cat ears. That's kind of cool. :cool:

As far as minimum burning distance, I'm sure it can focus right down close to the lens. I have a small white dot of paint that marks the 5' focal point. This was exact when I marked it. The temperature seems to make it vary just a little.

When you get goggles, you can use something black to see the size of the dot. I like using my WL Nexus case. (good for something anyway) If you don't have the goggles yet, try some smoke from a match or something. You can see where the beam 'narrows'. The narrowest part of the beam is the tightest focal point for burning.

Might as well mention maximum burning distance while were at it. For me, a 3 second match light @ 20' was my best. Once I saw it's power, I never really tried much more distance. (focussing at this distance or farther is very touchy) But that was 247mW's. Your build is HOTTER!.

Noteworthy is the fact that 470mA's is pushing these open can diodes pretty hard. It's only because of the 'thick' heatsink that we are getting away with it. :D

BoostCrzy got a 50' balloon pop with 248mW's @ 422mA's! :eek:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1206415617/0
Jay

P.S.
godmonkey said:
gave good, proper and ACCURATE advice. I work for techsupport i know how rare this is with accurate advice from anywhere. Big respect points scored!
I appreciate you mentioning that! I'm just straight forward. Honesty is the best policy.

the meredith acryillic lens is quite amaizing i must say. I've been playing around with it for a while now and when you get the focus just right it just devours whatever you point it at, but get it wrong by a fraction and it won't even scratch the surface. Fun but annoying sometimes :p
Sometimes i get it smaller then a pinprick and then it goes thru a floppy almost instantly.

could someone do a review of the optics only as in same laser all the time with the different lens choices

godmonkey said:
could someone do a review of the optics only as in same laser all the time with the different lens choices

I've ordered a laser off jayrob just like yours with with a meredith glass and an acrylic lens, so I can swap between them.

Since there isn't a good review out there (and it would certainly help jayrobs customers to read such a review) I will certainly be doing a very detailed review comparing the two lenses :)

sweet dude keep me posted. I'll be buying in a lot of junk from my next paycheck.

What kind of blue are you getting? I'm mostly curious of the lens choices for the blues (burning with blue baby!) and i want to find the perfect lens :)

can't wait until i get paid and can start building. Fearing many soldering burns for the summer :D

jayrob

Murudai said:
I've ordered a laser off jayrob just like yours with with a meredith glass and an acrylic lens, so I can swap between them.

Since there isn't a good review out there (and it would certainly help jayrobs customers to read such a review) I will certainly be doing a very detailed review comparing the two lenses :)

Looking forward to those comparisons from you Murudai. I should be shipping very soon. I got an e-mail from Meredith and they shipped me your extra lens yesterday. Hopefully it comes in today's mail, then I would have your package in the mail for you by tomorrow. I'll keep you posted...
Jay