Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

250mW Red E-Bay Laser for Real?

chimo

Bernhard, if you compare them to normal, high-power LEDs (such as Luxeon, Cree, etc...), they generally rate their LEDs by the input power to the LED.

It is common to talk of 1W, 3W or 5W LEDs.

Currently, the manufacturers rate the output at different input currents: e.g. 100-110 Lumens output @ 350mA input. The forward voltages vary between LEDs so the Wattage rating is nominal.

Paul

I believe that those rating are applicable only to the LED, and not Laser Diode.
Here is a Laser Diode example datasheet:
http://www.sony.co.jp/~semicon/english/img/sony01/a6802894.pdf

In those datasheet, sony claim it as 1W laser diode. That is output power, and not input power. Input power is higher than that (2.94W typical). Hence, the claim of those on Ebay that the pointer are using 1W diode is wrong.
You can also find other laser diode datasheet from other manufacturer that cited their diode based on output power, and not input power. As far as I know, this is the way laser diode power always quoted, which is based on their output power.
Am I missing something here?

chimo

Those are beefy LDs! 1.4 amps!

I would guess that the ebay one is using "creative marketing" to come up with their 1W figure.

Bernhard said:
I believe that those rating are applicable only to the LED, and not Laser Diode.
Here is a Laser Diode example datasheet:
http://www.sony.co.jp/~semicon/english/img/sony01/a6802894.pdf

In those datasheet, sony claim it as 1W laser diode. That is output power, and not input power. Input power is higher than that (2.94W typical). Hence, the claim of those on Ebay that the pointer are using 1W diode is wrong.
You can also find other laser diode datasheet from other manufacturer that cited their diode based on output power, and not input power. As far as I know, this is the way laser diode power always quoted, which is based on their output power.
Am I missing something here?

S

SenKat

Eh - the whole thing with the 1watt diode is just improper typing from their advertising section. It is just 100% incorrect, is all. That laser is not DPSS, and thus has no pump diode - case closed ! :p

G !

Ubbers

SenKat, given what you've pointed out, what do you think
is the actual wattage of the diode?
Also, do you think this device is the same as the one you group
ordered?

Thanks, Ubbers

Things

the guy selling them obviously doesn't know a thing about lasers!!!
We use genuine 1 watt laser diodes required to produce the output power stated
yeah too bad it's not outputting the stated power, it only outputs 250mw :D ;D ;D ;D

S

SenKat

Ubbers said:
SenKat, given what you've pointed out, what do you think
is the actual wattage of the diode?
Also, do you think this device is the same as the one you group
ordered?

Thanks, Ubbers

I would honestly have to say that it is the same item as the one in the now epic group buy ! Which means, according to the distributor, that they use a diode most likely in the 200mw range, possibly 250mw (no idea where they obtain the diodes) and drive them at 180mw-200mw. I suppose it is possible to get 250mw out of it, but for only short periods, as the heat created would be rather intense, and the diode would not last too awefully long I would think. Sorry I am not of more help - but, these lasers have been proven to be stable and reliable at the 180mw-200mw range, and operate for a long time, it is just odd to see that Spymodex and others still advertise it like it is a DPSS laser with a pump diode ! I mean, if what they stated WAS true - then you could tweak the output power on this laser up to 1 watt with no ill effects ! Uhm...we would have heard of someone doing that by now I think !

G !

Ubbers

Hey SenKat,

Great Info, thanks. I should be getting this laser in a week
or so so I'll know more then.

Another moderator, Merl, mentioned you might have a line
on a power tester in America. Might I be able to make an
arrangement with you for a test? I'd of course pay all shipping
plus a little extra.

Thanks, Ubbers

Ubbers

"We use genuine 1 watt laser diodes required to produce the output power stated" , EBay Ad.
"yeah too bad it's not outputting the stated power, it only outputs 250mw" , Things.

There was a discussion earlier on what 1 watt refers to between Berhard
and Chimo though I'm not sure of the upshot. I think it was that 1 watt
refers to the power into the diode to get the claimed (we'll see) 250mW
out.

Thanks, Ubbers

Reactions: ARG
It is false advertising. As Senkat said in his post, the laser diode that this unit use will be at max 250mW, most likely 200mW.
1W red laser diode will output 1W and will draw higher current, most likely in 2.9W range.

Also as far as I know, 1W IR diode or red laser diode is only exist in 9mm T05 packaging and not exist in 5.6mm T18 packaging which is this laser uses. This is assuming that the unit is the same as the unit in Senkat groupbuy, which is very likely.

Reactions: ARG

Things

yea but if he had a 1W red diode in there(if they even exist in that form), he would have atleast 900mw out, but he states that it is 250mw. so my guess is he doesn't know enough about lasers to know that red dpss lasers are very rare, and that even if it was a diode, there is so far no form of 1W red diode that will go into that module/casing?

Gazoo

The highest power red diode I have seen is made by sony and comes in a 9mm can. 500mw and it is probably multimode.

S

SenKat

They DO have C-mount red diodes that exceed that specification, butthe beam charachteristics are horrible from what I have seen/heard....but the fact remains that it is a downright falsehood -Spymodex, or whatever teh seller is going by on ebay now sells them under false pretenses - they do NOT have a 1watt diode in them, and if they actually did, I would like to know why the hell they would under-drive them to 1/4 of the rated power ? Moot point though, since they do not use a 1watt diode.

G !