Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

24 Foot balloon pops and match lights.

I remember hearing about this lens that Optotronics sells that has a focal length of 4 meters! I'm going to soon be ordering a x-105 from NovaLasers along with their optic attachment and was thinking of getting this other lens from Optotronics to use with it.

So with the focal point at 12 feet, it pretty much means instant balloon pops and instant match lights. Also, if the laser can do any of that close range without a lens, then in theory I should have a range to pop balloons and light matches from 24 feet using the lens! Of course, I could be missing some important concept with optics, because it almost seems to good to be true. Can anyone confirm my thoughts or give me a lesson in optics?

Wow no one has any input? I would think everyone would be all over getting a focal point at 12 feet.

I just focused my AixiZ module with the GB 16X diode at 19 feet and lit a match. I don't think I need it.

What do you mean exactly? I mean I can light a match instantly from 30 feet away using a magnifying glass lens. ;D

^If directed at me:
[smart_ass_humor__just_in_good_fun]
I meant that I set the focus of the AixiZ module to about 19 feet, walked 19 feet away from the laser and set up a match, walked back to the laser and turned it on, look back just in time to see a flame from the match. [/smart_ass_humor__just_in_good_fun] ;) lol

Sorry for the threadjacking.
Does anyone have an idea what these could be used for that I can't do with the one lens(e) AixiZ module?

Gazoo

I think the idea for that lens is for it to be used with a green laser since most of them can't be focused..

Yea, it would be with an X-105 from NovaLasers using the optics attachment to hold the lens, not using an AixiZ Module.

My apologies, I guess I should take a little more time to read a thread before placing my foot in my mouth. :-[
Having a little trouble looking before typing, I'll be headed to the optometrist Monday to see if they can do anything for me. ;)

So how hard is it to adjust the focus on your average greenie?

Well I'm pretty sure it would include taking the aperature cap off and then twisting the lens there....at least thats how my leadlight was. However, I really don't want to take apart a laser from Novalasers. Thats why I was thinking of that lens with a focal length of 12 feet. I want to be able to pop balloons from a distance further than ~3 feet, as it is much more impressing.

IgorT

Well, since this is about focusing the beam to light a match etc., i'd like to ask a question..

I don't have an AixiZ module yet, just an optical assembly scavanged from a cheap laser pointer in front of my LD..

It's not very good, and is hard to focus... The only way i can do it is to blow some smoke (from a cigarette) through the beam, to find the narrowest point.. Then i can put a piece of paper there and it makes a hole..

Is the beam easier to focus with an AixiZ housing? How do you guys do it?

Thanks!

IgorT

Guys!

I have another question.. When you're lighting matches with your lasers, do you use matches with a red head?

My laser still won't light a match unless i make a black spot on it with a permanent marker..

I blame it on the cheap optics..

It most likely is optics. How powerful is your laser? I recently had a 125mw Fusion from WL (which I returned), and it could not light matches WITH black sharpie on the match head. So it was most likely underpowered and the beam diameter was most likely at least 1.8mm at the aperature.

What laser do you have?

Gazoo

Igor,
You will be able to light a match instantly with the aixiz lens. I have found the plastic lens to focus down to a pin prick. It is even better then the glass lens on my meredith module for burning. The only lens that might be better of the ones I have played with is the acrylic lens that comes with the other meredith module, and I am still debating that.

With 250ma's, I can light a white headed match instantly. The safety matches with the red heads are the easiest to light that I know of. It only takes about 160ma's but this is using the GB diode.