Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

20mW Green Burning?

7h0m

I had some store credit at Think Geek so I picked up the Wicked Laser 20mW greenie they carry. Just on a lark I pointed it at some electrical tape on my workbench which started to smoke and melt through. I did some other controlled shots after that and I can pop dark balloons at 60cm, go through a trash bag in less than 5 secs as well as electrical tape. It isn't a big hole and though the tape doesn't flame it does smoke and melt.
Is this typical of a 20mW pen?
Also, I attached the data sheet the laser shipped with. Can anyone explain what the power output here is measuring? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, I looked around and wasn't able to find the specific info.
wl20mwDataSheet.jpg

you got a really good deal. the average power on that graph is 54mw and the peak was 63mw!

7h0m

I thought I was reading that correctly. Wow! Is it common for a unit to be overspec'd by a factor of three?

7h0m

20mW Evolution Pro... I guess I actually ended up with the 60mW. :thinking:

Yes i would expect that from a evol.pro unit... How much did u pay for it???? U GOT A FREAK 20MW UNIT CONGRAT.S

7h0m

They are $119 at Think Geek. I actually bought it to score a free slide rule, so double bonus!