Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200mW mxdl bluray from Daguin - mini review

daguin

brtaman said:
Great news, glad you and pullbangdead were able to arrange these tests. It will give great insight into the nature of the 811 vs. 803 debate.
*fingers crossed*
Maybe a frog burial or two is in order?  ;)
brtaman

DZ is doing these tests. If it ends up that these diodes are "bluer", it will be a shame. I don't think that this diode is being used for anything else. It MAY be the one that was in the Toshiba A3 HD DVD players. GooeyGus found the diode in these units to pretty much follow the characteristic of the diode in the 0811. We have received word that they are already starting to "scrap" the A3 units. Somebody on alt.lasers got to harvest a bunch of them, but thousands of units were scheduled to be scrapped :'(

HD DVD lost. The year of promised "support" for the format is coming to a close. Enjoy the cheap diodes while we still can :( Blu-Ray is the new king.

Peace,
dave

daguin

LaserHawk said:
is the 811 better then the 803?

Our testing of the 0811 is fairly limited. However, we believe that the 0811 runs at a lower current and so output than the 803T. The "knee" of the 0811 appeared at around 140mA. The 803T doesn't really show a knee at least up to 200mA. So if you are looking for higher output, the 803T is needed. However, the 0811 makes a fine laser as well. I keep a pen-type pointer on my desk with the 0811 diode being driven with 100mA, that puts out 90mW.

Peace,
dave

siop

daguin, what significants does the "knee" have? What does it tell you?

LaserHawk said:
daguin,   what significants does the "knee" have? What does it tell you?
I believe it shows the current setting that shows the highest output, without dropping in power from the current. *is not completely sure*