Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200 W car-mounted laser!

I had them off initially, then put them on for fear a collimated beam could hit an aircraft, the line lenses sure reduced the power density of each of the 450 nm beams. The 7.5 mm collimation lenses on the 800 nm FAP's had very high divergence at that wavelength, like about 16 mRad, so very quickly their outputs had too low of a power density to harm anyone

Last edited:

Buffo

Gotta admire the work he did on the up-collimator (telescope). But if he was surprised at the performance of that CW fiber laser he should have grabbed an old-school Q-switched Laserscope (Z-fold resonator) and simply removed the KTP instead. The peak IR pulse power in those units easily topped 20 KW. Would have been a lot cheaper too...

Adam

Buffo

RedCowboy said:
Peak pulse and CW just isn't the same

True. However, the video seemed to be focused (pardon the pun) on destroying things. If your goal is to cause damage you can do a lot more with a pulsed laser vs CW at the same average output.

Adam

Average as in joules sure, however it still depends on what you want to do, a million watt peak power tattoo remover @ 5ns pulse duration and 5hz is 2.5W average power so again depending on what you want to do with it vs. what your CW option is I can't say the pulsed laser would always be better........I would rather have a 2.5w argon/ion for cutting popcycle sticks but for marking tin cans in dot matrix text the pulsed yag.

I want to know were did he get the cash to build this ?

20 seconds of googling shows: At 5 million subscribers, estimated revenue for his channel is $180k/year. The video pays for itself in a few days. No illicit substances required.

No illicit substances required.

Well that's disappointing.

Also, I was just kidding about the cocaine thing. I don't really think that's how he paid for the laser, that would be a.. strange accusation to make given that I have no reason or evidence to believe so, much less feel the need to call someone out like that even if I did have a reason to suspect it.

Last edited: