Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

200 mw Red laser poblem

I'd like to start out my reply by saying that I am terribly sorry for not responding for such a long, long time, but between the time of my midterm exams and going to an english language contest, i haven't had much time to spend on the computer, much less working on the laser. The idea is that that the situation has changed, and i am no longer able to procure the laser diode from the place I originally intended to (an internal-country site), so i decided to look up this Lazerer.com site that everyone seems to be spazzing over, and i found something that caught my eye:
Opnext HL6388MG 250mW 638nm Orange Red Laser Diode
It is a 250 mw orangish red laser diode, and i wanna stick it in this host 'o mine!
That said, is such a thing even possible? A few bits of information on the host, It contains two CR2 800Mah bats, case negative, has a driver with a little screw on it, and has a lens AR coated for 650 nM. Is it possible to install the diode in this laser, and if so, would it be safe to push it up to it's standard 250 mw? I really love this idea, but if it's a stupid one, I'd really rather be told so now, since the diode itself is not exactly cheapy. Respond soon, and sorry again for not remembering to do so myself.

Fiddy

that diode will work, IF your driver is ok AND is set at the right current as you said you fiddled with the current adjustment pot.

id buy a test load if you don't have one, confirm the driver works and is set to a 300-400mA.

Hey guys, OP here, I just wanna say that after thinking this through for a long time, i've come to the conclusion that i will not use a 250 mw orange diode in place of the old one, and for a few reasons.
Firstly, the price of the diode alone is greater than what I paid for the entire laser when I first bought it, the diode may warrant the big price IF i can install it properly, and that's an awfully big "IF".
Secondly, the only reason why i would use the orange diode over a standard reddie would be for the visibility increase, which even so, wouldn't be so grand. From the very begining, i only intended to use this laser as a pocket burner - visibility was never one of my goals with this, lest i wanted to leave my 50 mw greenie jobless.
As such, i'll just buy a 200mw diode in the old-style 655nm wavelength whenever i find a good spot to get it from, preferably internally(from a site from my country) so as to avoid a shipping hassle. But don't expect this to happen soon though, in fact, i probably won't post on this thread for a long time.
With that, i leave you for an undetermined amount of time.

It is not bought from romania, but a chinese site called dealextreme.com. I don't think the site even carries the laser anymore, but for me that's not such a problem, since i kinda dropped this project when i bought my 1 Watt blue.
Still, I'm happy to see more of my own countrymen have a passion for all things laser related. Cheers!

Have you rebuilt the laser?
You can get >300mW red diodes on ebay for $10...