Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

$20 scope whaoooo!!!

Commander J. Bloodmaker

I just scored a $20 oscilloscope!! while it may be old and analog, could one day be a museum piece if I shine it up. He wouldn't sell me the museum piece, lol. Now i'm really gonna feel like an old time scientist!!! woot woot!! lol. ok I just had to brag to someone a little. No one I know is into the brain expanding things I am. I know i won't be able to log any wave activity from the circuits, but I will be able to see it. The best part is, it all works, can measure from 0v to 50Kv, all the pieces are there in amazing condition, and it even came with the original manual!!! This thing is huge, took up half my pickup bed. The monster will be born in my lab one day!! muahahahahhahahahahaha.

disclaimer, sorry if I posted in the wrong spot, didn't see a " cheap score bragging rights section." ;)

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
30960-mariowilleatyou.jpg

Giannis_TDM

I just scored a $20 oscilloscope!! while it may be old and analog, could one day be a museum piece if I shine it up. He wouldn't sell me the museum piece, lol. Now i'm really gonna feel like an old time scientist!!! woot woot!! lol. ok I just had to brag to someone a little. No one I know is into the brain expanding things I am. I know i won't be able to log any wave activity from the circuits, but I will be able to see it. The best part is, it all works, can measure from 0v to 50Kv, all the pieces are there in amazing condition, and it even came with the original manual!!! This thing is huge, took up half my pickup bed. The monster will be born in my lab one day!! muahahahahhahahahahaha.

disclaimer, sorry if I posted in the wrong spot, didn't see a " cheap score bragging rights section." ;)
~~Wait what? Is that a misspell? Cause I don't of any scope modern nor ancient that is supplied with HV probes for up to 50kv Especially analog~~ Consider me corrected, Apparently they DO make that for? dunno maybe one afternoon you feel like probing the grid before it's turned into 120 or 240.

Last edited:

Commander J. Bloodmaker

~~Wait what? Is that a misspell? Cause I don't of any scope modern nor ancient that is supplied with HV probes for up to 50kv Especially analog~~ Consider me corrected, Apparently they DO make that for? dunno maybe one afternoon you feel like probing the grid before it's turned into 120 or 240.
Not misspelled. Say it can read waves up to 50kv. A lot more than i need, but nice to have. Lol. This scope is probably 40-50 years old.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
I've got an old (Circa 1950) Atlas 'engine analyser' I've been slowly restoring. It's got an 8" O'scope screen for displaying ignition waveforms. The pickups connect between a spark plug and the distributor and between the coil and the distributor. It's all vacuum tubes so if a full strength spark ever does make it into the system no semiconductors will be harmed. Those ignition 'pickups' are about a foot long and 3" in diameter and rated at 75kV.

Commander J. Bloodmaker

50kV scope probe will either have very poor response, or be larger than scope itself. There's a high chance you either misread something, or do NOT have all the pieces.
why would you try direct probing that high of a voltage? You would have arcing, high voltage is nothing to play with if you don't understand it. You use inductive clamps. An this machine is huge, was never meant for desk top monitoring of laser diodes or any tiny electronic. The leads are all huge and cool. All here, I even received the original manual, the books used to teach the techs the different settings and how to read the waveforms this specific machine will show you. I believe it's for some giant electric motor testing or something ( haven't had time to read the books). I just wanted it because it is an antique and was extremely cheap. There was an older machine the seller was donating to a museum and refused to sell it to me. this thing reminds me of a panel from NASA in the 70's or something, lol. Makes me feel like a real mad scientist.

Back in the mid 1970s I was given a 1960s era Tektronix scope that could run on NiCd "D" cells: ten of them. I bought the batteries new that cost $13 each. It came in a leather case and was amazingly portable for its age. It was given to me by a ChemE who I did some electronic work for.

Commander J. Bloodmaker

Back in the mid 1970s I was given a 1960s era Tektronix scope that could run on NiCd "D" cells: ten of them. I bought the batteries new that cost $13 each. It came in a leather case and was amazingly portable for its age. It was given to me by a ChemE who I did some electronic work
That sounds like something I would buy on impulse. lol. I'm also a huge freak for early era carnival glass. I kinda feel like I am preserving history when I buy really old and rare stuff. I'm never going to sell any of it, I just like having it.

The real question is, do you still have it? lol

That sounds like something I would buy on impulse. lol. I'm also a huge freak for early era carnival glass. I kinda feel like I am preserving history when I buy really old and rare stuff. I'm never going to sell any of it, I just like having it.

The real question is, do you still have it? lol
Sadly, no. That was something that was given to me back in 1974 or 1975. I was still in college then working on my BSEE. Since graduating I moved away and was only able to take what I could carry on a plane as that was the way I traveled.

You guys are reminding me of the Heathkit IO-12 scope I used to have. Had it displaying audio waveform for the music playing through my stereo when I was growing up. Miss that thing.

I remember Heath Kit televisions. They used to sell these as a way to learn how to troubleshoot TVs, but they only taught maybe how to solder and nothing more. That was back in the 1960s when only tube set were available.

Commander J. Bloodmaker

I remember Heath Kit televisions. They used to sell these as a way to learn how to troubleshoot TVs, but they only taught maybe how to solder and nothing more. That was back in the 1960s when only tube set were available.
Back when a cars manual showed you how to adjust the valves and tighten the timing chain. Now days they tell you not to drink the fluid in the radiator or battery. I miss the days when people used their grey fat.

Commander J. Bloodmaker

You guys are reminding me of the Heathkit IO-12 scope I used to have. Had it displaying audio waveform for the music playing through my stereo when I was growing up. Miss that thing.
They still make them, or you could make your own. if you make 'em, I might want one. lol