Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1x AAA 5mW Green Laser Pointer from DX with Star Tip - Detailed Review

DealExtreme 1x AAA 5mW Green Laser Pointer

The Basics
This laser is one of DealExtreme's newer additions to their green lasers. This laser model comes in advertised powers from 5mW up to 30mW. For US buyers, the 5mW version is the only one available so I decided to give it a shot.

Shipping/Packaging
Shipping took about three weeks from China. Like I said earlier, this laser is legally shippable to the US. The packaging was a padded envelope. The laser itself came in a clear magnetic case with cutouts for the laser, the diffraction head, and a AAA battery.
1.jpg

Overall Appearance/Feel
This laser is different from other green lasers I have seen so I don't have anything to compare it to.
3.jpg

The switch is a momentary push button which has a solid click. The laser is somewhat light for its size, it's nothing like the heavy NewWish pens.

The warning sticker is on the wrong side of the laser! This is a con because I have about beamed the thing in my eye thinking I was pointing it away from me when in reality I was looking down the aperture!
6.jpg

It was easy to move to the other end though.

The diffraction head screws right on the the aperture of the laser, so you can remove it if you want to use it as a regular pointer.
5.jpg

The head isn't too flimsy or sticky, so it will stay where you last turned it until you move it again.
dx5star4.jpg

Visibility/Output
Visibility is what you would expect for your typical overpowered "5mW" greenie from China. My unmetered guess would put it at around 10mW to 15mW or so compared to similar metered lasers I have. Here is this laser compared to an average True 5 from DX:
7.jpg

The beam is very visible at night and barely visible in a lit room. With the diffraction head you will need some fog for the beams to be visible.
8.jpg

Here is a beam shot in some fog:
9.jpg

Beam diameter and divergence are average, so there's not much to talk about here.

Innards
I haven't dissembled this laser yet, so I'll leave this spot reserved for observations.

Overall: This is a great laser for the price, at $10 there's not much to loose. Just the fact that this is powered by one AAA is a huge plus.

Video:

D

Deleted member 8382

Great review, I might get one myself. 30mW in a so small host looks very attractive! +1 for you :D

dogman

three weeks is a long time to get it. When it is coming to Chinese lunar new year, the shipping may be a little delay.

That looks like the one they had on o-like it even came in the same box. Also what did you use to glue the sticker into the right place?

hello.. i ordered the 30mw version some day ago..... i estimate to receive it in my hand between 1month and 15 days.. :) i bought the 30mw version because i read a review... and one guy received a 43mw unit. probably... all 5 to 30mw pen are THE SAME...... but the difference in cost is not so much. i noticed that the BEST price/power is the 20mw version... however... styro... i read a person in your video comment that potmodded a 5mw unit to 50mw.

do you think to try to open it? i am little crazy.... i think i will try to open mine XD

i really think that is capable to do about 50mw... but can you tell me how much time live the battery?
and... did you use to put in a 10440 lion? i would know from some experts if the boost driver in this pen... need MAX 1.5v or can also accept 3.6v.(and battery survive more time... )

ps:from the DX photo... i thoungh it have a DIFFERENT kaleidoscopic effect(not comparable to the classic kaleidoscopic pen), but i see it is THE SAME effect.

if i like this pen.. i wil buy another one 5mw to GRAB his host :p. i would buy a 150mw module... and use a host that is :

SHORT
THIN(thinner than cr2 host like my silver bottle shape)
--->CAPABLE to use different light effect...(the 5 heads that also laserlands sell)

dogman

I will not think that they will send the battery to you. Chinese Customs are inspecting the electronics that comes with battery very strickly.

I got one of these about a week ago. It gives me about 40 mWBut needed cleaning for battery connectioins.
On mine, the battery goes in + to the front. Be careful, Some are the other way.

HMike

hem... are you the same man that posted a revied in the comment in the DX 30mw page of this pen? do you have the 5 or 30mw version? i read a boy received a 43mw laser from a 30mw. :)

meepo

Would you think it's possible to remove the module inside and replace it with another? I wanna get one of these and use it with my 100mW module and a 3.7 li ion 10440 battery :/

bigG

i also bozght such a laser in hk 2 days ago... it says, taht its 30 mW but i dun know... because thats my 1st green laser ever^^
when i got time (HKers are busy all the time) i will also post a review, after a bit longer time using...
mine looks exactly like this one only the diffraction grating thing in the front is a bit other shaped