Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1w Beam problem..

I all, I have a 1w 450nm blue laser pointer.
But, I noticed that the focus seems to be a little odd.
Here's what the laser looks like from the top. http://puu.sh/gV1CD.jpg

So, when i screw the focus on at it's tightest the beam looks like this. http://puu.sh/gV1CP.jpg Somewhat squarish, and increasingly thick and squarish at a distance.

However, when I start to change the focus the beam gets more narrow and more like a dot. http://puu.sh/gV1D3.jpg This focus (dot like) seems to be able to burn stuff way easier than the default square one. The problem is, when I have this dot focus on, it is quite shaky and often loses focus.

The square focus does not have this problem, but it doesn't really burn anything.....
Is there anyway to have the dot focus, like switch with the square focus. As, constantly having to adjust to dot focus is a real hassle.

Thank You.

Is this due to the lens being loose? It sounds like the lens doesn't fit tight enough to stay in position, do you think this is the problem? Is there a spring behind the lens? You could get some Teflon tape/plumbers tape and wrap a tiny amount around the lens to make it fit tight so it holds the focus, or if it's a standard size lens you can buy a spring for it if it doesn't have one but the tape you can probably just find in a local store somewhere.

Alan

When the lens it tightened, it produces this rectangulish/squarish beam. But when its slightly loosened it creates a straight light dot beam.

examples of how the strict lens I was less understood
o.png

When the lens it tightened, it produces this rectangulish/squarish beam. But when its slightly loosened it creates a straight light dot beam.

Well that would be normal if it has the usual 3 element lens, but it should stay in position and not need constant refocusing.

Alan

So you reckon some duct tape or teflon tape will do the trick?

I can't tell from your photo if your laser has standard size parts, but yes you should be able to unscrew and remove the lens and use some Teflon or plumbers tape on the lens barrel, this is a very thin white tape and very small, it will make the lens fit tight so it won't move by itself, don't try to use duct tape, that would be much too thick.

Alan

Hm if u cant focus a 1w laser to burn then something is wrong then, from the pics it dont look like anythings wrong ? u sure it cant burn at all? thats weird even my 1w blue can somewhat burn even if not focused right, a little longer but it does burn dark plastic only the hole is bigger.. Sounds like u bought a laser from ebay or aliexpress, those are not real good actually, the focus and quality usually isnt anything special.

Last edited: