Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1W 445nm laser (Yobresal build)

murrat

This is a short review of my Yobresal build laser as I promised him that I'll do a review about.

This is my latest laser which I am happy with it so far. With the first one I have many problems (it started with my fault trying to see which driver is in :)
I had so much problems while trying to have this laser but it worths it.

Not so many of Yobresal build laser users have given details about therefore I am not sure if they all are the same.
I think my first one has a different lens or a different set of focusing ring and lens because I was unscrew the ring almost it comes out to have a parallel beam (focused to infinity). This one has a different set so just 1-1,5 turn is enough to achieve that.

Reading is always more difficult than watching so I prefer to use photos rather than words :)
Here are the photos and at bottom a video that shows burning a hole in a white thick paper (All laser users know that it is the most difficult think to burn a whole with a laser (especially when it is not focused) as it reflects laser the most.
Lighting a match with 1W laser is a piece of cake ;) I also tried that at 3m and it succeeds without focusing in 1-3seconds.

I want to add that copper heatsink is much better for cooling. First one with aluminium heatsink gets hot easier but upgraded version gives you more time before it get hot.

Laser in daylight (early evening)
img6902o.jpg

Size comparison
img6913b.jpg

Size comparison
img6914v.jpg

Yobresal laser
img6915m.jpg

GITD cap on
img6916i.jpg

GITD cap off
img6917y.jpg

focusing ring adjusted for parallel beam
img6918l.jpg

top view
img6919c.jpg

Top from the side (focusing ring is just above the top of the crown of the laser)
img6920r.jpg

Battery compartment
img6922.jpg

clicky switch tail cap inside
img6926w.jpg

clicky switch tail cap
img6927e.jpg

driver circuit view through host
img6935h.jpg

16340 batteries side by side(Spiderfire-Trustfire-Juice)
img6936k.jpg

Juice
img6945.jpg

Trustfire
img6943f.jpg

Spiderfire
img6944q.jpg

2 juice batteries in
img6947g.jpg

2 trustfire batteries in
img6948ak.jpg

2 spiderfire batteries in
img6949it.jpg

GITD caps
img6951k.jpg

GITD caps (the one on the left has a bulge inside that fits in focusing ring)
img6952.jpg

Laser in daytime from 8 meters)
img6954m.jpg

Dot of laser at 8 meters
img6955m.jpg

Dot of laser at 8 meters behind laser goggles
img6956q.jpg

Dot size at 8 meters behind laser goggles (about 12mm long and 1mm wide)
img6957o.jpg

This is a thick magazine page that is white in color
img6961k.jpg

This is the burn made in 12seconds by this laser
img6963q.jpg

This is the same burn from opposite side.
img6965c.jpg

burning video:
YouTube - 1W laser burning a hole through white paper

Last edited:

Nice write up, and good pictures as well. I believe I was the first view on your video, Looks like you just posted it today. I have a very similar laser myself. However mine was purchased from Jayrob, it has the copper heat sink as well. I think the Cree C6 is just about the most common host used these days. Anyway, thanks for posting and enjoy your laser! :beer:

murrat

Nice write up, and good pictures as well. I believe I was the first view on your video, Looks like you just posted it today. I have a very similar laser myself. However mine was purchased from Jayrob, it has the copper heat sink as well. I think the Cree C6 is just about the most common host used these days. Anyway, thanks for posting and enjoy your laser! :beer:

Yes I posted it new. Thanks for your comments.
About photos it is a bit difficult to take them if the lighting is not enough and also need to hold it with one hand and hold the camera with the other and also not to shake it to have clear photos while taking with no flash ;)
About that Cree C6 host I am not sure who first discovered it but it is most likely the best for heatsinking and batteries.
And anyone can get from Survival Laser Home too.
Jayrob also has nice build and quality builds. Thanks for all these members for their work. ;)

X FLY

The thumbnails are unclickable btw (doesn't open a bigger version of the image when you click on them). Idk if you ment it to be like that but would be nice to be able to view the images full sized :)

murrat

The thumbnails are unclickable btw (doesn't open a bigger version of the image when you click on them). Idk if you ment it to be like that but would be nice to be able to view the images full sized :)

Thanks for letting me know about that mistake :)
As I didn't upload from my account I hardly find the correct links but I corrected them at last :)
Here they are!
Hope you like the large files:)

Last edited:

murrat

Did anyone noticed that when you shoot the laser to a wall (5m away) the dot of this 445nm LD is a small rectangle which has the long sides looking up and down and short sides looking sides

however if you check that rectangle at a closer distance (about 1m) it makes a quarter turn(90degrees) and long sides looking at sides.
__
I...I
I...I
I...I
I...I
I...I

weird?
:thinking:

Last edited:

X FLY

Did anyone noticed that when you shoot the laser to a wall (5m away) the dot of this 445nm LD is a small rectangle which has the long sides looking up and down and short sides looking sides

however if you check that rectangle at a closer distance (about 1m) it makes a quarter turn(90degrees) and long sides looking at sides.
__
I...I
I...I
I...I
I...I
I...I

weird?
:thinking:

I haven't noticed anything like this yet, probably because I always either burn from a close distance or shoot it way farther than 5m :) Probably just some kind of an illusion thats caused by the wavelenght of the light.

Very nice, and smart upgrading to copper. On all these smaller hosts aluminum should be phased out completely. GJ

I haven't noticed anything like this yet, probably because I always either burn from a close distance or shoot it way farther than 5m :) Probably just some kind of an illusion thats caused by the wavelenght of the light.

It's not an illusion -- I've seen the same thing in my 445nm diode lasers.
From a laser expert whos work I trust, comes this:

"Dear Craig Johnson,

I saw your stuff on the Arctic having major axis in one direction at 12 inches and 90 degrees from that at 7 feet.

Look for someplace in between where the beam is round.

The reason for this is usually astigmatism - where the beam has divergence from one axis corresponding to one "waist location", and divergence from the other corresponding to a different "waist location". Laser diodes often do this, while in general other lasers do not.

The "waist" is where the beam is narrowest. The beam converges approaching the "waist", and diverges after passing through the "waist".

Sometimes the waist does not exist in reality, but only as a mathematical projection of its existence rearward of where the beam starts. In that case, the beam diverges every inch of the way from where it actually starts.

A cylindrical lens can be used to move either the "parallel to E-field waist" or the "perpendicular to e-field" waist. If the two coincide into a single waist, then the beam has the same shape at all points far from the waist. (In the waist, the 90 degree difference happens again if the beam is oblong - lower divergence and wider waist width go hand-in-hand.)
"