Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

18650 batteries will not charge ????

So I bought a 445 laser kit and got all hyped over starting it up for the first time only to be disappointed in my batteries.
I got a pair of 18650 batteries and charger from DX. Charger green lamp comes on when plugged in and batteries installed. Voltage across them while in charger never goes above 0.38 volts. Remove batteries and measure across charger terminals and it reads about 4.4 volts.

Suggestions?

Helios

Your getting nothing on the batteries out of the charger?

Ive never had batteries arrive with no charge. They usually have 3V minimum

Approx 0.38 volts across battery, out of the charger, using a calibrated DMM.......poop. i hate to buy another set.

Helios

Approx 0.38 volts across battery, out of the charger, using a calibrated DMM.......poop. i hate to buy another set.

Email the site you bought them from. They will make you send them pictures and possibly send back the old batteries but they usually will end replacements.

I have a 50/50 success rate with DX.
Got a reliable source in USA to get some?
Guess I just need two and a decent charger.

Helios

If you want the best cells and are ok with being responsible recharging them you can get some high quality sony, samsung etc laptop cells from someone here like Larrydfw but just remember they are not protected cells.

I use these laptop cells exclusively if its an 18650 host.

Helios

Protected like safe sex or what? .....?

Haha sort of.

Protected cells have a circuit designed to prevent overcharging and over draining which can and has caused 18650s to literally burst into flames. However the vast majority of "protected" cells are cheaply made chinese batteries VS the quality made (possibly still in china but with high quality control) "unprotected cells" by major electronic manufacturers for high end consumer electronics. So would you rather have the bargain basket with safety features or the regular top shelf?

The unprotected high end cells are also able to supply more current and battery life in most cases.

It comes down to preference. Some members here swear by protected cells.

Understood. I have several laptop batteries that may have cells that are still ok. Planned to re-cycle them but may just open them and see what's inside. Any dangers with charging them in my 18650 charger?

Helios

Understood. I have several laptop batteries that may have cells that are still ok. Planned to re-cycle them but may just open them and see what's inside. Any dangers with charging them in my 18650 charger?

As long as they are 18650s which they should be they will be fine in the charger. You will have to take them apart and remove the tabs on them because they are soldered together. Be careful though because there are six of those suckers in there and while your taking them apart you dont want a short or something will get really hot in a hurry.

Bad charger.
Took a cell phone charger with 5V output, placed a diode in series then soldered it to the gutted bad charger. Charged the batteries for 4 hours. Worked like a charm. Laser is blindingly bright. Woo-Hoo !!

Glad to hear you got the laser working, you should try to return the charger if it is not prohibitively expensive to do so. I think either larrydfw of dtr has chargers available to ship right away if you are in the US it would be much faster.

aknovaman;

Sometimes you can find a charger with a 4.2 VDC output voltage.

Check it with a voltmeter for correct voltage first,

and then hook it up to your battery cell.

I also have a charger link in my signature.

Larry

Last edited: