Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

160mW Dorcy Metal gear mod

How many mA are you pushing to the diode to get 160mw ? It would be nice if someone made some kind of diagram to know approximately the output of the diodes at a know current.

Gazoo

Yeah, that's an excellent idea and I plan to do it when I get my LPM-1.

kdubbz

I have some RC heatsinks laying around, Ill try some things out. I have the GB diodes from senkat and the brass cases. I just need to get a Dorcy mini, im checking target tommorow.

ericab

kdubbz said:
I have some RC heatsinks laying around, Ill try some things out. I have the GB diodes from senkat and the brass cases. I just need to get a Dorcy mini, im checking target tommorow.

ok.

paper183 said:
How many mA are you pushing to the diode to get 160mw ? It would be nice if someone made some kind of diagram to know approximately the output of the diodes at a know current.

I don't know exactly, somewhere around 350mA though. If you want to know for sure, hook up 2 cr123's with a 10 ohm resistor and check it. that is all there is to the "circuit"

kdubbz

Went to target today and they had 6 dorcy mini's. These things are really brite i must say. I might even go back and pick up another one to actually use. Anyways, do you have a guide on how you did the dorcy mini? I have 4 spare RC heatsinks and i cant get any of them to work. Take some more detailed pics of the dorcy mini with the heatsink and such. Thanks.

I will show some pics of the mini Dorcy later this week - once I get a few spare hours. There are other posts on this - check with Senkat and he may be able to point you in the right direction

I made another metal gear laser (same setup) and substituted a 7.5 ohm resistor for the 10 ohm and it puts out 215mW peak and 195 mW stable for at least 10 minutes (I stopped the test after that) :) :)

kdubbz said:
Went to target today and they had 6 dorcy mini's. These things are really brite i must say. I might even go back and pick up another one to actually use. Anyways, do you have a guide on how you did the dorcy mini? I have 4 spare RC heatsinks and i cant get any of them to work. Take some more detailed pics of the dorcy mini with the heatsink and such. Thanks.

here's the mini dorcy with the solder heatsink drilled out to fit the AixiZ module.  to make it I basically just laid the head of the dorcy front end down on a piece of aluminum foil and dripped solder into it to fill the head up to 1/2" below the inner thread

Attachments

• DSC02106_Medium.JPG
    DSC02106_Medium.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 201
kdubbz said:

here's the mini dorcy with the external "knurling" ground off to fit the heatsink

Attachments

• DSC02111_Medium.JPG
    DSC02111_Medium.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 183
I have now made 5 of these lasers and tested them at different power levels:

10 ohm ->  180mW peak  160 mW stable
7.5 ohm -> 215 mW peak  195 mW stable
5 ohm  ->  260 mW peak  225 mW stable  (overdriven significantly and died within 24 hrs of "on"  time )

I did NOT duty cycle any of these lasers and left them ON for over 35 minutes on multiple occasions.   :)

I'd recommend only the 10 ohm resistance if you are worried about your diode dying, duty cycle will obviously extend its life as well.  
If you have plenty of diodes to spare, the 5 ohm model is a GREAT burner...  I'm currently settling for the 7.5 ohm model, but I do have a bunch of spare diodes ...  :cool:

Benm

I must say those heatsinks make it look very nice. Any idea where to get them at a good price online?

i ordered a Dorcy Metal Gear 1 Watt LED Flashlight. It says it uses 3xAAA not C123. i assume you modded it and i just missed you saying it. it is 7am and I'm dead tired trying to get all the parts to make one like yours. what would happen if i used the 47uf 16v instead of the 7.5 ohm? what is the difference, i am very new to all this stuff and am hoping to have 5 or more lasers in the next few months. where do i get a 1/2" shaft collar, home depot or maybe the hobby store?

Benm I'm going to try the hobby store, but i would rather buy one online also.

O YEA stevetexas YOUR THE MAN. i have been looking for what you have to the T. are you using the diode from the senkat GB, that is what i'm going to use. need to decide which to use the 7.5ohm or the 47uf 16v

thanks for all your help. I'm so happy i found this forum, i foresee a lifetime membership to this forum.

havok13154 said:
i ordered a Dorcy Metal Gear 1 Watt LED Flashlight.  It says it uses 3xAAA not C123.  i assume you modded it and i just missed you saying it. it is 7am and I'm dead tired trying to get all the parts to make one like yours.  what would happen if i used the 47uf 16v instead of the 7.5 ohm?  what is the difference, i am very new to all this stuff and am hoping to have 5 or more lasers in the next few months.  where do i get a 1/2" shaft collar, home depot or maybe the hobby store?
i have been looking for what you have to the T. are you using the diode from the senkat GB, that is what i'm going to use. need to decide which to use the 7.5ohm or the 47uf 16v

The AAA batteries were eliminated in favor of using CR123's. Basically just eliminate the entire battery holder inside the body of the Metal Gear and cut a sheet of rubber to fit inside then insert the CR123's.

I do not have a Capacitor inside - I am using only a resistor.

I got the shaft collar the my local ACE hardware. Just bring your AixiZ module with you and fine one that fits (1/2") and has a set screw for locking it in place.

Steve --

Does it take some heat to get a mini Dorcy apart ??

Mike

Update --- THe strap wrench trick worked great.  Thanks