Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

15mw laser hit me in my eye.

Well, you wouldn't be able to. The first few milliseconds would cause intense permanent destruction(with a full-on beam/reflection) and the pain(searing eye pain and days of severe headache) involved would prevent you from looking for the 2 seconds minus "first few milliseconds". Similar to a propane torch, so you always need to wear high quality eye-wear/protection.

what happens if you look at a 1000mw blu laser for 2 seconds?

Edit: To the OP, I hope you are going to be alright. Let us know.

Last edited:

what happens if you look at a 1000mw blu laser for 2 seconds?

You turn into Doctor Manhattan and spearhead a clandestine crime-fighting group of superheros.

Doctor_Manhattan_(Movie).jpg

Well, you wouldn't be able to. The first few milliseconds would cause intense permanent destruction(with a full-on beam/reflection) and the pain(searing eye pain and days of severe headache) involved would prevent you from looking for the 2 seconds minus "first few milliseconds". Similar to a propane torch, so you always need to wear high quality eye-wear/protection.

Edit: To the OP, I hope you are going to be alright. Let us know.
I heard that laser eye injuries are painless, but I'm not sure about that. Not that I want to find out.

^Depending on severity they could be(20mw green at an angle). Full-on 1W 445, would be excruciatingly painful.

200mw green laser to the eye causes isntant blindness for a few minutes and then you get a Scotoma which is a spot in your retina, that may or may not ever go away and it severely disrupts things like reading. It happens so fast you cannot even blink. There is not much pain other than headaches, but I would assume a 1w laser would cause some burning of the outter eye layers. It's actually better to feel pain it means you got an outter eye burn which is treatable. Inner eye damage ussually does not hurt, and is most always untreatable.

200mw green laser to the eye causes isntant blindness for a few minutes and then you get a Scotoma which is a spot in your retina, that may or may not ever go away and it severely disrupts things like reading. It happens so fast you cannot even blink. There is not much pain other than headaches, but I would assume a 1w laser would cause some burning of the outter eye layers. It's actually better to feel pain it means you got an outter eye burn which is treatable. Inner eye damage ussually does not hurt, and is most always untreatable.

Why in the world would you bring this post up after 8 months?

I absentmindedly pointed a laser at a mirror about half an hour ago. I viewed the reflection from a few feet away before looking away. I had no blurred vision or floaters when this happened and have not experienced any symptoms of eye damage. Is it likely that my eyes have been damaged even if I experience no symptoms?