Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

150 mW pen from Optotronics too big for a pen?

Hey guys,

I just joined here so I am pretty new to this stuff.

But, I was planning on buying a 150 mW pen from optotronics and I was just wondering if a pen style laser can handle 150 mW?

THanks, and sorry if this is a noob question.

150 is good... the max peak for a PEn is about 200mw. but you can't stai ON for a long time or the diode gets warm...and it is dangerous for the laser.

Yeah you have to worry about it overheating. You could get their RPL series for around 400 if you do a group buy though in the forum. Cheaper prices!

Also, I was just wondering if there is something I can put on the end of my laser to make it take a certain shape? Like a batsignal? thanks!

You could use a diffraction grating, but that would make a lot of pictures. I've used those X-mas glasses and it works great.

COD4 I've never actually seen that here. You mean like the cheap laser pointers that make objects?

Does anyone have links of those here?

93shad

yeah thats funny.
to answer your question yes it can realy make 150 (actualy more)mW because DPSS is about 35% effecient and the ir diode is 1 watt. therefore it could be 300mw lol. but as far as heat is concerned... keeep it cool but DO NOT ever put it in the fridge or freezer

When you get into those powers (120mW+) with a pen-style host there are all kinds of potential troubles, mostly heat-related (do a search on those Opto pens, several people have had them not work above certain ambient temperatures, have stability and output power difficulties, etc) ...

The other option would be to buy a green module and a custom host from Jayrob or Ehgemus, the 120-150mW modules from O-like are around $115 ahipped and a nice custom host with plenty of heatsinking from Ehgemus would add another $40 or so, far less than the Opto and far less chance of stability troubles due to heat buildup (I have a module that peaks at 173mW in an Ehgemus host that has been run for almost 10 minutes with no drop in average output power).

(for the record, though, with the modules you risk slightly less-than-perfect divergence, meaning the projected "dot" will be a bit larger than with the Opto pointers and the beam will be a tad thicker, some people like that though as it makes the laser beam more visible)

Simple answer.........Is by all means 150mw is fine for a pen. I have a 150mw pen from Optotronics and was worried about the same thing before it came. This thing is incredible, no heat issues what so ever. I thought the duty cycle would be a issue, but its not. I'm always blasting it on and can't put it down. I couldn't be happier. Will be getting another soon.

Last edited: