Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

12x BDR-205 Blu-ray laser by daguin...

We traded some work, but I think its around $24.

The finish is way smoother than the original coating, and much more scratch resistant.

Here is his addy darkhorse*custom*at*verizon*.net* just take out the stars and change the "at" to @. Tell him I sent you, and I'm sure he will hook you up.

Rob

Sweet, thanks for the info TJ. I appreciate it.

$24 is a very good price. :D

I think so, especially when your shelling out $200+ for a laser. Another $24 to make it one of a kind is a cheap price to pay. Plus Barry is one of the nicest guys, and is an artist.

of course its sucking ur batteries out fast...thats a beast! :p and 800mAh isnt that much for that 12x.
BTW i was sure to have read and seen lots of 8x plots, mixed with 3 12x, being one or 2 of them the Plextor LD..if such thing exists and i havent dreamed about it, could someone link me to it...tried to find it for 1h and couldnt find it

(what i find odd is the simple math i done...i dunno what is wrong...could someone give me more insight about it?? i guess its the batteries output voltage and current that starts to decrease as they deplete their "charge". Just tell me whats wrong with my numbers (they are very very rough numbers)

ok. each battery holds 800mAh thats 0.8*1.2V=0.96Wh=3456J
now u have 3 batteries so u should have 10368J to spend.
Now imagine the foward voltage of the LD to be 5V (i think im over the real value, but im majorating on purpose)
at 360mA ur burning 5*0.36=1.8J/s
even with the worst conversion of the microflexdrive of 80% (their stats)
1.8/0.8=2.25W of consuption out of the batts...
now 10368/2.25=4608s...and 4608s is 1h17 mins roughly...
now imagine batts only start working under spec after 75% of depletion thats around 20mins of working without noticeable spec reduction in the laser output.

maybe its the fact that the batteries are in series and one another cant do the math like this...i dunno)

Last edited:

jayrob

In series, it's like a single battery at 800mAh's. (with more voltage)

In parallel, it would be the same voltage as a single battery, with more capacity...

Have you tried testing how long a set of primary (non-rechargeable) AAA's last? At the current that the 8X and 12X are sucking up, 4.5V may make a significant difference over 3.6V.

Peace,
dave

For sure!!!

Go with 3 X Energizer e2 lithium primaries and get a lot more capacity...

As Dave mentioned, the driver will not have to use as much current to boost the voltage to what the diode is asking for. Using 3 X e2 lithium primaries will probably be 5 volts on new batteries. (check it out)

Last edited:

Quisp

In series, it's like a single battery at 800mAh's. (with more voltage)

In parallel, it would be the same voltage as a single battery, with more capacity...

==================================

For sure!!!

Go with 3 X Energizer e2 lithium primaries and get a lot more capacity...

As Dave mentioned, the driver will not have to use as much current to boost the voltage to what the diode is asking for. Using 3 X e2 lithium primaries will probably be 5 volts on new batteries. (check it out)

Well, I didn't find any Energizer e2's at my local store(s), but I did buy some Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA's. Perhaps Energizer dropped the "e2" name recently? Interestingly, my store receipt still codes these Energizer Ultimates as "E2 LITH AAA"
...Gotta love marketing...;)

Also, there is no mention of the mAh rating for these Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA's anywhere on the batteries or the packaging. After a quick Internet search, I'm guessing 1250mAh is probably in the ballpark for each of these 1.5v volt AAA primaries.

jayrob

Put three fresh ones in your battery pack and I'll bet the pack will be over 5 volts...

As Dave mentioned, this means that your FlexDrive will not have to use as much current to boost to the voltage that your diode is demanding. Meaning, that you will get more capacity and run time from this set up vs the rechargeable batteries that you were using... :)

Quisp

Makes sense...;)

Now if "they" only made 1.8 volt AAA rechargeables with >2400 mAh each , then my MXDL 3045 battery carriage & FlexDrive would be most happy...lol

@ QUISP, great looking pix. That 12 X must be a BEAST. I like the shot where the beam is streaming upward into the night sky.
@TJ, Great looking one of a kind anodizing job, my friend, & you are absolutely correct about Barry (DARKHORSE). He has a great personality, & does exceptional work. He is a true artisan in every sense of the word.................... rob

Quisp

Thanks Rob...:)
I like that picture, too.
It forces my imagination to ponder where the beam actually ends......:thinking: