Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

120+mW Galileo X-Series Hybrid +pics added+

With a little improvision and ingenuity, I have successfully extracted the module from my X105 without cutting the case or damaging it in any way. Everything came out clean and perfect. If anyone is interested in how I did it, I can post a little mini tutorial along with nice macro shots of the never before seen CNI pen internals... I was tempted to fire up the bare diode, but I decided to be patient.

I fitted it into my Galileo and now, after a couple minor problems, I have a G105 laser. ;D
I must say, this thing looks truly badass.
A tight, solid, green beam out of a matte black Galileo is amazing.

Now it has better heat sinking and hands free operation.

I can't get any pictures yet, but Trust me... this thing is sick.
;)

Edit: Pics Added!!!

Re: 120+mW Galileo X-Series Hybrid

nice.Post pics and how you did it. ;D ;D ;D

PICS

I move a new forum rule that making awesome mods then NOT posting pics is a bannable offense :mad: :p

I'll definitely get some pics up tomorrow. I've always liked the look of the Galileo, It's solid, but not too big... and it can be mounted on rifles... which I will do...
It looks much nicer with a 120mW beam rather than the pale 3mW it used to output.
BTW, it's the old version before LG engraved their logo on their lasers.

I'll start with extraction...

The X series laser comes apart in two pieces that are separated by the gold ring. Pretty self explanatory.

The top comes out fairly easily without much effort. All it takes is a little bit of wiggling and eventually it should slide right out. However, when I was removing the top from the battery case, I turned it a bit and the diode and driver unscrewed from the heatsink. This made it easier because I did not have to worry about snapping off the driver while I pulled it out. If you can get it all out in one piece it makes no difference. By the way, the threads are the same as any, so if you turn it the wrong way you'll break off the driver.
The hard part was figuring out how to remove the brass casing (top) from the module. It is pressed and glued in pretty well...
The module protrudes from the bottom of the casing about 1.5 cm and the gold ring does not come off until you get the module out (it's kind of annoying, actually).
So, after much consideration, I did not cut into the case as I originally planned, I pressed it out with a C-clamp. It was scary (putting so much pressure on an extremely delicate $200 optical array is nerve racking).
First, I unscrewed the diode/driver from the heatsink and safely set it aside. Then I drilled out a piece of hard plastic tube to the perfect size. The inside diameter of the tube matched the outside diameter of the module, the width didn't matter, but it had to have enough length to allow the module to be pressed out of that end. So I used a metal cylinder about the diameter of the module and set that on the top of (with the aperture cover and collimating lens removed, of course). So on one end, there was the protruding module (thats the side it comes out of) and on the other end is the aperture now fitted with a piece of metal. This is used to press the module out, and the drilled out plastic keeps the case in place... This is really hard to explain.
So anyway, I put it all in a C clamp and it took a while, but I got it all out in one piece. The case is unscathed and ready to be used as a custom laser host.

Next, I had to fix the button problem. The button was already getting finicky (thanks to friends depressing the button with excessive force) and I needed to short it. So I opened up the switch and shorted it. Then I covered it up with a piece of red foam. Just because.

This whole process was a lot more complicated and stressful than it sounds.

I installed everything into the Galileo body, bought a new CR123A and fired it up. To all you it may look like just another 100mW green, but to me, it's the result of hard work and sweat on an empty stomach. And it's beautiful.
;D

Complete Module
DSC06900.jpg

Top of Driver (red thing is the button)
DSC06901.jpg

Bottom of Driver
DSC06902.jpg

Front View of Module
DSC06903.jpg

Disassembled
DSC06904.jpg

DSC06906.jpg

Pump Diode!
DSC06907.jpg

DSC06908.jpg

DSC06910.jpg

Crystals in Heatsink
DSC06915.jpg

G105 (no smoke, no fog, normal exposure; Honest beam shots!)
DSC06898.jpg

DSC06899.jpg

DSC06919.jpg

DSC06920.jpg

Mounted!
DSC06921.jpg

DSC06922.jpg

DSC06924.jpg

DSC06925.jpg

Focusing Lens Cap I Made
DSC06926.jpg

DSC06927.jpg

DSC06936.jpg

DSC06929.jpg

DSC06931.jpg

DSC06932.jpg

DSC06934.jpg

DSC06935.jpg

Outside

With lens
DSC06939.jpg

Without Lens
DSC06941.jpg

DSC06949.jpg

DSC06952.jpg

DSC06954.jpg

Yeah, that's an awesome looking mod. Damn nice laser, LaserGlow should make some Galileos of that power :D

Very nice mod!!! The Galileo looks better as 100+mW than 3mW. ;D

Just a helpful note to others wanting to try this mod, you can get older style models of the Galileo (same one used in this mod) in the current LaserGlow GB.

styropyro said:
Very nice mod!!! The Galileo looks better as 100+mW than 3mW. ;D

It definitely does.
You'd think that a host like this would be made for higher powers.

Aixiz modules should also fit fine in the Galileo, which would make for an AWESOME diy bluray or open can red host... or even the new 808nm 200mW StoneTek Diodes...

RA_pierce said:
[quote author=styropyro link=1216868594/0#8 date=1216940530]Very nice mod!!! The Galileo looks better as 100+mW than 3mW. ;D

It definitely does.
You'd think that a host like this would be made for higher powers.

Aixiz modules should also fit fine in the Galileo, which would make for an AWESOME diy bluray or open can red host... or even the new 808nm 200mW StoneTek Diodes...
[/quote]
This would be an awesome host for nearly any laser, after seeing those pictures you posted I'm tempted to do this with my 170mW CNI...

styropyro said:
This would be an awesome host for nearly any laser, after seeing those pictures you posted I'm tempted to do this with my 170mW CNI...

That would be AWESOME!
At least wait until the warranty expires :D
I would recommend rechargeables... I just payed $8 for a single battery to power this thing.
I'm gonna order the charger and CR123A rechargeables... when I get my paycheck.

The module the Galileo comes with isn't bad either. They can easily be made into a ~30-40mW 532nm module or a 150mW 808.
Unfortunately, I cooked the Galileo's guts and I just found the perfect heatsink for it.

Nice photos. It's like you work for these laser companies to take their photos or something.

Bionic-Badger said:
Nice photos. It's like you work for these laser companies to take their photos or something.

Haha thanks I try :D
I want a better camera...

Huh... I woulda figured more people would be interested in the dissection of a CNI pen. Apparently not... :-[

Oh well...