Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1014 Lm Flashlight Review

Hi once again people of LFP!

A few days ago I bought a 1014 lumen flashlight by Ozark Trail for general outdoor use at night.
I was aiming for something rechargeable with a bright light and this product had a few more features than just that.

Ozark Trail LED flashlight - Walmart.com

As you might see, I have already done a review on it at the site :p

First off, I bought this tool locally for $70 (trying to avoid having to add to my list of things that are shipping).

Yes, the price was a bit steep for a flashlight but I wanted something that would last a long time.
It is made with a thick aluminum host that makes it heavy enough to use for self defense and has a very expensive feel to it.
It is 10 3/4 inches long, 2 1/2 inches in diameter at the front (lens) and a tad bit more than 1 inch in diameter at the back (where the clicky is).

attachment.php

The 10 watt LED module itself is made by Cree Inc. And the case it came in claims the bulb should last for life.

attachment.php

The flashlight lights up my whole back yard and can light up trees clearly across a large field. The case also claims it can spot objects up to 416 meters away.

(4 second exposure times to make images look closer to real life)
attachment.php

attachment.php

The body gets only slightly warm while in use and the LED bulb doesn't produce too much heat which is nice.

Next, I would like to note that it has a built in 2200 mAh lithium ion battery. It takes around 3-4 hours to charge and lasts 1 hour in constant "high" mode and 5 hours 45 minutes on "low" (196 lumens). Oh, and it comes with an SOS mode as well but I don't think I'll be using that any time soon :p.

The Flashlight also has a built in battery indicator/button and a USB port for recharging AND for charging phones and other USB devices.
The metal cover comes right back to expose the charging port when twisted counter clockwise.

attachment.php

I found this to be a Huge plus with the ability to charge my basic phone twice on long trips and when away from power outlets. (Charges an IPhone once with a little power left to spare).

attachment.php

The power indicator/button is blue when full, yellow when partially charged and red when low. And it will start flashing red when its about to die. The built in protection circuits force the flashlight to "low" mode when the indicator is red and automatically shuts down to protect the battery after flashing red for a bit.

attachment.php

Also, the bright white light never dims or decreases in intensity throughout usage unless its really low (red).

attachment.php

The instructions claim that it will run under water to a depth of one meter for 30 minutes just fine, but I haven't gone close to that yet. My hands start to turn into raisins at the 20 minute mark anyway.

The only thing I wish the flashlight had was a protection circuit against overcharging :crackup:
It has so many safety features to protect the battery but it won't stop charging after the light turns blue while its plugged in.
So far that is the only thing I dislike about the flashlight.

Though, the instructions say that it is safe to charge up to 4 hours even after the light turns blue, so I guess I will just have to start setting timers while waiting.

Overall, I really like how well it was made including all the cool features to go with it. It seems to be brighter than 1014 lumens but then again I have never owned a flashlight more powerful than this.

It is a very nice tool and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a high quality flashlight.

Attachments

• DSCF7359.JPG
    DSCF7359.JPG
    344.5 KB · Views: 4,092
  • DSCF7366.JPG
    DSCF7366.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 4,283
  • DSCF7371.JPG
    DSCF7371.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 4,178
  • DSCF7376.JPG
    DSCF7376.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 4,270
  • DSCF7370.JPG
    DSCF7370.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 4,097
  • DSCF7367.JPG
    DSCF7367.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 4,537
  • DSCF7377.JPG
    DSCF7377.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 4,075
  • DSCF7352.JPG
    DSCF7352.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 4,080
Last edited:

Here are the pictures I took while at a bigger field:

Zoomed in
attachment.php

Zoomed out
attachment.php

Another tree
attachment.php

Flashlight beam
attachment.php

How I took these pictures
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF7384.JPG
    DSCF7384.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 3,717
  • DSCF7390.JPG
    DSCF7390.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 3,665
  • DSCF7387.JPG
    DSCF7387.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 3,693
  • DSCF7385.JPG
    DSCF7385.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 3,769
  • DSCF7382.JPG
    DSCF7382.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 3,720
Last edited:
Are you read for some constructive criticism?

A review is a critical evaluation of a product. This is a mediocre review at best. I don't see much of any quantitative data. Here are a few things you could include next time:

What is the emitter? What is the drive current? What is the voltage window for current regulation? How stable is the current regulation? Did you test the run-times yourself, or are those values you read on the box? What lux at 1m? What lithium cell does it use? Is it protected? Did you measure the capacity, or is that a value on the box? The first assumption by the reader is single 18650, but why is the light so long? What does the inside look like? What charging method is used?

Last edited:
Nice review Silver, $70 may be a little pricey(as you mentioned) but judging from the pictures it looks worth every penny! :)

-Alex

Surely you must realize "judging from the pictures" is a poor way to assess an object's worth.

Of course just pictures don't determine if an object is of good quality or bad quality.

But Silver spent some time in his review detailing how the flashlight was and included pictures showing how it operates, I have trust in Silver & his reviews, I have no reason to doubt he is lying. If the flashlight he received operates by default like he has shown on the pictures that to me(at least) gives me the confidence to purchase one if need-be :)

-Alex

I have no reason to doubt he is lying.

I'm assuming you mean the opposite: "I have no reason to believe he is lying"... but who said anything about lying?
You're missing the point. Entirely. I'll try to elaborate...

Silver spent some time in his review detailing how the flashlight was

That's appreciated. But it leaves a lot to be desired. The detailing was not very... detailed.

If the flashlight he received operates by default... gives me the confidence to purchase one

Okay... If it only takes a picture of the device switched on to give you reason to purchase it, then why not go for a $6 light? There are plenty of reviews of $6 lights that have pictures of the device emitting light. You're not curious about any of the things I listed above?

...included pictures showing how it operates...

How it operates? How do you mean? It's a flashlight. You press a button and light comes out. You plug a cord into it to transfer power. Yes. That's great. It fulfills the most basic requirements of its intended purpose. But I already knew that. $6 lights can do that. What sets this one apart?

I know it performs - I want to know HOW WELL it performs.

Last edited:
You do have a valid point Cyparagon, after thinking about it some more.

Nevertheless, im a "facts" type of guy, and I always appreciate having some random facts about a product thrown in there to keep my attention, but I also understand that some people may not add those for whatever reason in their reviews, and hey, that's completely fine. To each their own way of making a review!

I also understand some people(like you) expect reviews which have greater detail and not just some pictures & words thrown about. To me though, as long as a review covers the basics of a product that's fine, I don't need detail specs for a product. :p

Edit: Hope you can understand where im coming from?

-Alex

Last edited:

3Pig

Tried burning with it? Looks like a monster thrower :)

I managed to burn electrical tape with a direct drive xml t6 and a 1 inch wide reflector.

Nice pics too :D

To be honest I just read key elements and look at pictures :) I do not care for walls of text :D

Are you read for some constructive criticism?

A review is a critical evaluation of a product. This is a mediocre review at best. I don't see much of any quantitative data. Here are a few things you could include next time:

What is the emitter? What is the drive current? What is the voltage window for current regulation? How stable is the current regulation? Did you test the run-times yourself, or are those values you read on the box? What lux at 1m? What lithium cell does it use? Is it protected? Did you measure the capacity, or is that a value on the box? The first assumption by the reader is single 18650, but why is the light so long? What does the inside look like? What charging method is used?

Hey Cyparagon,
I have thought about that, I wanted to give as many details as I could think of with all the minimal equipment I have and yes it is still lacking.

I have no idea what type of emitter it uses,
Don't know how to measure the drive current,
Don't even know what the voltage window is,
And I Would test the run time myself instead of relying on the box and other short reviews but I didn't think anyone would need an exact run time, guess I'll have to test that.
As I said, the lithium cell is built in but I have read that it can be replaced but it doesn't sound easy. Probably something I'll do once every couple years. So I don't know what it looks like.
And I don't have any way of testing the brightness of the light but I would like to look into that and see how much the tools might cost to measure those things.
The flashlight has a few battery protection features but I am not exactly sure what the typical protected 18340 battery does.
As for why the light is so long, half of the light the flashlight puts out is directed into a narrow beam for long range spotting and the other half is a wide angle throw of light.
As for the inside, the back end (clicky) is on so tight I can't unscrew it. I'll probably try with some bigger tools when I can. And I'll post some pictures of the actual LED bulb as well. (once I get the time).
For the charging method, it charges via a standard USB cord with a 2A 5VDC Adapter.

I'll just admit it, I am still in the newb stage and am still learning. Your criticism does help though, now I know a few details I could add to future reviews. Some of which I will have to research and tools I may have to buy.
Thanks for the input and I'll try harder next time.

Ok here are some pictures I took of the flashlight with the lens off.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• WIN_20141006_163800.JPG
    WIN_20141006_163800.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 4,865
  • WIN_20141006_163847.JPG
    WIN_20141006_163847.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 3,638
  • WIN_20141006_163947.JPG
    WIN_20141006_163947.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 3,598
  • WIN_20141006_163959.JPG
    WIN_20141006_163959.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 3,804
  • WIN_20141006_164008.JPG
    WIN_20141006_164008.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 3,564
  • WIN_20141006_164016.JPG
    WIN_20141006_164016.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 3,644
Last edited:
The equipment to test everything I've mentioned costs less than the light does. Lux meter is ~$15, DMM is ~$15, used bench power supply is ~$40 if you're patient. Of course, this equipment is good for lots of tests and projects beyond a single review.

The equipment to test everything I've mentioned costs less than the light does. Lux meter is ~$15, DMM is ~$15, used bench power supply is ~$40 if you're patient. Of course, this equipment is good for lots of tests and projects beyond a single review.

Thank you very much! I had no idea it was so cheap to get tools like that.
And yes, I would have a lot of use for something like a lux meter.
My post count won't give you much but +rep anyway.

Damn lol 1000 lumens flashlight? that sure is alot why would u need so much ? that host looks crazy big.

Damn lol 1000 lumens flashlight? that sure is alot why would u need so much ? that host looks crazy big.

Mostly for fun. Many would ask the same question about the big lasers many of us own :p
I just like being able to spot things at much greater distances than every flashlight I have used in the past. I saw an 8000 lumen flashlight at Walmart as well. I almost bought it but I didn't want to spend $170 for a flashlight. Couldn't imagine how bright that would be.

ILLUMINATE 70 Watt 8000 Lumen LED Rechargeable Tactical Flashlight

Last edited: