Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

100W Blue Laser Exploding/Vaporizing Black Coffee.. (Video)

BrilliantLasers

I wanted to make a new thread on this video I made since I found this phenomenon so fascinating. When the focused beam is small enough, something really surprising happens when pointing into black coffee. The coffee seems to reach a critical state where the laser is absorbed so fast it violently explodes. I almost peed myself when it first happened cause it was louder than a cap gun! Also I melt a 1 inch wide hole through steel at the end. :p Also, here are a few high shutter pictures I took of the gun in action.

20210523_134756.jpgLaserCoffee.jpg

Last edited:

Rigo13

That’s very cool!
I had a look at your other videos and I’m surprised how little views they have considering that giant deathrays seem to be pretty popular on YouTube nowadays.
I hope you start getting more views soon!

I'm trying to figure out if you're pausing between because you aiming, letting the laser cool a little or if your eyes are screaming in pain! Recently I was so close to pulling the trigger and making the same basic thing you have made. Even though they are an incredible watt per $ price they're still too steep for me. Gonna wait a while for the arrays to come down in price.

You can get a tighter spot with a shorter focal length lens and that will give you even higher energy density, so you can cut steel cans much faster.

kecked

I wonder how those laser cutters made for cutting get such clean edges compared to this?

julianthedragon

I wonder how those laser cutters made for cutting get such clean edges compared to this?
My guess is a smaller/tidier focus point and steady guided movement by a machine rather than by hand. Also single mode beam profiles will make for a more efficient cut than the multimode profile of those high powered blues. Singlemode is like cutting something with a thin sharp saw blade, multimode is like a rougher, bulkier blade

The laser cutters I've seen around here are CO2 or fiber lasers. The cutting tip also has gas assist like a gas cutting torch.
SMOOTH cut!
Mike