Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

100mw laser can't burn?

ok so i really need some help on why this is happening. so i just got a 100mw 532nm green laser from amazon.com its by the company "goread" and its called a Goread l1 light pen, its supposed to burn matches and other stuff but it doesn't work. I charge the battery fully but even at a pitch black night the beam i can barely see. The battery is a green 3.7v lithium ion batter and its charged through a computer with a usb. The laser looks exactly like a 301 laser, has the key and everything. Even in the instructions of the laser it says that u can light a match with it. It can be focused so i focus it, stick a black balloon at exactly the focal point and keep it there for up to a minute and it doesn't even pop :/ I'm very disappointed in this laser and i know something is wrong because, no beam, can't even pop a balloon, battery fully charged and the laser lasts for about 10-15 minutes before needing another charge. What do u think is wrong with it and what do i do? Do u think its the laser or the battery?

What colour is the balloon? Your balloon need to be black for it to burst

Pman

Those 301 units are a crap shoot for what power you will receive regardless of what they advertise them to be. Sounds to me as though the actual green portion of the output is 15mW or less (although the IR content could be way higher). 532nm units in general are not steady state output and are VERY temp dependent and you might notice it dimmer or brighter at any moment. You need to spend some time looking into 532nm lasers for some basic knowledge before purchasing more units. Try using the search bar at the BOTTOM of the forum. No idea why that search bar isn't at the top as it confuses most people who first join.
Whatever you do don't start posting in multiple places or double post as most members won't tolerate this well. Be nicer than you think you need to be and try very hard to find your answers before asking the same questions 1000s have before you. Trust me, what you just asked is one of the never ending posts we see here;)
If you watch a decent 532nm laser that actually outputs 100mW it isn't cheap. First you need proper safety glasses and a knowledge of how to handle ALL lasers properly. Look at the laser safety threads. The unit you have right now is more dangerous than you realize.
Read the rules as stickies thread too!

Last edited:
ok so i really need some help on why this is happening. so i just got a 100mw 532nm green laser from amazon.com its by the company "goread" and its called a Goread l1 light pen, its supposed to burn matches and other stuff but it doesn't work. I charge the battery fully but even at a pitch black night the beam i can barely see. The battery is a green 3.7v lithium ion batter and its charged through a computer with a usb. The laser looks exactly like a 301 laser, has the key and everything. Even in the instructions of the laser it says that u can light a match with it. It can be focused so i focus it, stick a black balloon at exactly the focal point and keep it there for up to a minute and it doesn't even pop :/ I'm very disappointed in this laser and i know something is wrong because, no beam, can't even pop a balloon, battery fully charged and the laser lasts for about 10-15 minutes before needing another charge. What do u think is wrong with it and what do i do? Do u think its the laser or the battery?
Did you every get the problem resolved? I was curious if the laser you were talking about worked well with a good battery.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
If the battery only lasts ~15 minutes then it's a crap battery. If your new toy was actually flatlining a good battery in 15 minutes the thing would get too hot to hold. Try your laser with a known good battery and see if that doesn't give you better results.

532nm Is a very spendy mW per dollar situation. The industry is filled with terrible ebay and amazon clones of a clone. Some kinda ok, and some are just terrible. They mostly can be IR blasters (which is terrible unseen light).
If your into burning things I highly suggest first spending money on protective eyeware. You got only 2 photoresistors in your head.. don't burn em out!!
Also do A lot of research before you buy something you will regret or hurt yourself.
Welcome to the team!!

I agree, there is something wrong with the
cell/charger if it only lasts 15 minutes.
That means you probably aren't even getting
88mAh! That doesn't mean a good cell and
charger will make it a burner, but it
should help quite a bit.