Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

10 Watt 808nm Diode, Max it can be overdriven too?

Benm

I'm not sure what power they top out at, but i hope you realize these are multimode diodes with a -terrible- output pattern, far worse than than of the 445s. They could be good as DPSS pump diodes, but not for any direct beam production.

If you were to join it with a 445 you'd have a setup that shoots out dangerous amounts of IR in a + shaped pattern that doesn't overlap with the visible 445 at all.

Perhaps this could be used for cutting/burning/etc at very close range (though there would be no need for the 445 really), but don't even think of making a burning laser pointer like that.

If the beam quality sounds good I would work with lenses to focus it to a point at variable distance and test it, then if it proves out combine a 2nd.

AaronT

If the beam quality sounds good I would work with lenses to focus it to a point at variable distance and test it, then if it proves out combine a 2nd.

I'd need specialized goggles and at least an IR cam with display to even think about messing with it.

I'm going to combine some visible lasers before I do anything IR.

Virtually all IR laser diodes have horrendous beam specs, and do not respond well to over-driving. But hey, it's fun learning a lesson the hard way. Buy some anyway and see for yourself how hopeless they are. Just be sure to wear your PPE.

I think that is just a mount.

And you'd be wrong. It's a laser diode.

diachi

What about this 40W 808nm for $79.99
Coherent 40W 808nm Laser Diode Bar 1057693 DPSS Pump CCP High Power | eBay

Oh wait I think its just the heatsink or diode bar lol :crackup:

I think that is just a mount.

As Cyp said, no, that is a laser diode. Those diodes have a bunch of emitters stacked next to each other. The ones I've seen in that form factor are all 19 emitter bars. So essentially you have 19 individual emitters in one package, all in parallel (electrically speaking). They're great for side pumping YAG rods and such, or end pumping when fiber coupled (like the two ~20W bars I have). Of course, they have other uses too. The Coherent FAP diodes that several people on here have use one of these, just fiber coupled and inside a nice housing.

Last edited:
How small a dot can you get with these bar lasers. That is close up for burning. Or would they be more trouble than they are worth ?

AaronT

Thanks guys for all the feedback.

It looks like for now my research path is leading me to combine high power blues.

You can use these 808nm diodes to make a dpss laser that's green blue or yellow. After my BDR-209 build I'm going to try to make a 560nm yellow-green dpssl with a Nd:YAG and LBO crystal system like this one
getImage.xqy

Or perhaps a different approach like this
MgO:pPLN+Nd:YAG laser modules of 561nm

I still need to do more research like how much power can these crystals handle

diachi

How small a dot can you get with these bar lasers. That is close up for burning. Or would they be more trouble than they are worth ?

Depends how much beam manipulation you want to do and how much power you want to sacrifice. If you want a small dot for burning or such you really want to go with the fiber coupled options that are available such as the Coherent FAP 600 or 800. All you need to get a small spot with those really is a short FL Lens.

Here's my ~20W fiber coupled bar for example (same one pictured in my signature):

I somewhat collimated the beam with the short FL lens that was in the head (used to focus the pump beam from the fiber into the Vanadate chip) and then focused it with the magnifying glass on one of those sets of "helping hands". It was lossy, but effective. At least, as far as I remember that's how I had it set up... maybe it was only the magnifying glass...

Thanks guys for all the feedback.

It looks like for now my research path is leading me to combine high power blues.

No problem! :)

Last edited:
Yes, you can see the 10 emitters across the front, no doubt 4 watts each and they are large with no fac array.

Those are often bundled via fibers to a bundle like the fap lasers.

What ever it is that we work with, it needs to be a single emitter.

This looks like a 10W single emitter, the emitter size is 200um, it does have a FAC so that's a plus.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10W-808nm-L...b7c964e&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=272380540358

Who has worked with one of these 50 watt water cooled 1064nm, if a crystal could stand it that would be 10 watts of 532nm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-watts-La...eb8038c&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=371290240906

s-l500.jpg

Last edited: