Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1 Watt Green Laser For $140 (Review)

BrilliantLasers

So I took a risk and bought a "1 watt" green laser module from techood on ebay for only $140USD. It came with a driver and power supply. I did a power test and I was surprised it's actually not far off, at around 800mw. I'm curious though as to why it is less than 1 watt. I have another green 1 watt which gets a little over 1 watt. Are there any green diodes in the 800MW range? I thought there wasn't anything between 200mw and 1000mw? Is it possible the driver isn't driving it to it's potential?

Is this a Nichia green 1 watt diode? Or is there another one somewhere inbetween?

Here is the link to the store page: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/PWM-TTL-Focusable-520nm-1000mW-Green-Laser-Dot-Module-Gift-Goggles/143279657239?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

green1watt.jpg

Last edited:

Likely a NDG700 driven @ 1.8a with a 2E or 3E green AR lens.

I have won supposed NDG7475's from Techhood and at great prices, however when comparing output ( mw per ma ) I am certain that I had actually received NDG700 diodes, they are great diodes and came with clean pins, but not true 1.2w capable NDG7475's

With a G2 lens you would gain some power but divergence will suffer.......maybe try a G8 lens from DTR

---edit---

Now you can get NUGM03 diodes and they will do 1000mw through a 2E lens @ 1.8a and 1200mw @ 2.1a with a G2 ........YEP the 03 is a 525nm powerhouse but it comes with a GBall can, they are easy to pop off and run open can and they are a good price, but I don't think they could sell 7475's in a housing with a driver for the price you paid, I would bet it's a NDG700

Last edited:
i have a way can test a diode is have NDG7475 or NDG700,i set driver at 350ma, ndg 7475 can reach 100mw+ so can burn easy,but ndg 700 can burn,i think it is simple when no have a LPM
Open current is always a good data to determine the diode
this is DTR testing
65162RW2umm.jpg

Last edited:
Disappointing to see more and more misrepresentations from Techhood, they are becoming like the majority of the China laser parts sellers now, willing to disappoint buyers, as long as they get that dollar. Although I did get some green diodes from them cheaper than they intended, the guy they have bidding the auctions up screwed up and wasn't there in time to bid them up before the auction end, they admitted this to me in so many words.

It is strange that the label on your laser states the wavelength as 515nm-532nm +/- 5nm. That makes no sense. It has a 17nm range, plus or minus 5nm? It is most likely the lower power level diode, though. Not a terrible price for that, but I built one that was higher in power and cost less to build. Not a fan of your LPM. I wouldn't trust those numbers.

BrilliantLasers

Thanks for the info guys! Yeah, regardless, it is still a pretty great deal. Never seen a fully constructed 1 watt green with driver under $300.00

GSS

Yup for the money it's still a nice deal. Iv'e come to accept a little less than advertised lately with these places..
Why are you metering the laser so so close to the sensor? It's just about touching it..

BrilliantLasers

Yup for the money it's still a nice deal. Iv'e come to accept a little less than advertised lately with these places..
Why are you metering the laser so so close to the sensor? It's just about touching it..

Because my GF and her dog were in the same room, trying not to blind people. ;)

By placing the laser that close to the LPM sensor you are skewing your results by adding the heat from the diode itself. You need to back it off by at least 5 inches. Not that your LPM will give you an accurate reading, but you are adding heat that should not be there.

Is it possible the driver isn't driving it to it's potential?

Yes. Sort of. You're forgetting virtually everyone on this forum doesn't give two sh:)ts about diode lifetime, and will happily overdrive it to get that extra bit of power. "full potential" is subjective. I haven't perused the datasheets in a while, but 750mW may be closer to the diode's rating.