Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.5w blue, safety question

I got a 1.5w 445nm laser and a cheap red goggles from ebay New Eye Safety Glasses for Green Blue 190nm 540nm Laser Protection Goggles | eBay

Can I safely burn up close while wearing these goggles and closing my eyes?
I only want to test this laser untill I purchase more better goggles

Well if you close your eyes too then yes of course, but these glasses are too cheap some of them are no good. If you were going to get cheap glasses then you should have spent just a little more to get HDE or Uvex, they will work with a blue of 2W or so. Probably the glasses are good enough when burning or viewing the dot, just be sure you don't have an accident and take a direct hit. Don't let the laser slip out of your hand or roll off the table and be careful where you point it. You can view the beam without glasses but not when burning, or if viewing the dot up close, but don't get careless, I have a 1.5W 445 that actually burned me once when it slipped out of my hand, a hit to the eye would be the end of your vision in that eye. Oh and if the dot is too bright to look at then yes it is too bright to look at.

Alan

Well if you close your eyes too then yes of course, but these glasses are too cheap some of them are no good. If you were going to get cheap glasses then you should have spent just a little more to get HDE or Uvex, they will work with a blue of 2W or so. Probably the glasses are good enough when burning or viewing the dot, just be sure you don't have an accident and take a direct hit. Don't let the laser slip out of your hand or roll off the table and be careful where you point it. You can view the beam without glasses but not when burning, or if viewing the dot up close, but don't get careless, I have a 1.5W 445 that actually burned me once when it slipped out of my hand, a hit to the eye would be the end of your vision in that eye. Oh and if the dot is too bright to look at then yes it is too bright to look at.

Alan
Yep these goggles are very cheap I can even see the beam of the laser quite well with them on
thx for the tip on the next goggles tho.

perphas I will buy goggles from survivallaseres for 190~540nm
just to be sure if ever I get a direct hit or direct reflection from a metal/mirror.

Yep these goggles are very cheap I can even see the beam of the laser quite well with them on

WHAT!!! You should not see the beam at all with them on. Those are no good for 445nm. You should only see the dot.

Alan

OVNI

I got a 1.5w 445nm laser and a cheap red goggles from ebay New Eye Safety Glasses for Green Blue 190nm 540nm Laser Protection Goggles | eBay

Can I safely burn up close while wearing these goggles and closing my eyes?
I only want to test this laser untill I purchase more better goggles

... I can even see the beam of the laser quite well with them on ...

WHAT!!! You should not see the beam at all with them on. Those are no good for 445nm. You should only see the dot.
Alan has it right.

That website may be misleading. The red goggles are more than likely for blue-green lasers while the green goggles are for red lasers. The drop down Color selection menu simply says red or green, not whether they're describing the color of the goggles or the laser color they are meant to block.

Laser goggles are intended to block light so if you put them on and can see red (light), then it's passing the color red, not blocking it, so they must be for another color.

Last edited:

diachi

As Alan said - if you can see the beam with those glasses on they are no good. You should only be able to see the dot - and that shouldn't be too bright with the glasses on either.

Get the Eagle Pair from Survival - they are good glasses.

Also, please avoid double posting - use the edit button if you need to add more to your last post. :)

Alan
be this sentence you can only imagine how bright and strong the dot too rofl
this is why I said I will close my eyes when im burning

That website may be misleading. The red goggles are more than likely for blue-green lasers while the green goggles are for red lasers. The drop down Color selection menu simply says red or green, not whether they're describing the color of the goggles or the laser color they are meant to block.

Laser goggles are intended to block light so if you put them on and can see red (light), then it's passing the color red, not blocking it, so they must be for another color.
These are not the goggles I bought simple just look the same as mine and they are in red color

As Alan said - if you can see the beam with those glasses on they are no good. You should only be able to see the dot - and that shouldn't be too bright with the glasses on either.

Get the Eagle Pair from Survival - they are good glasses.

Also, please avoid double posting - use the edit button if you need to add more to your last post. :)

sure I will get the eagle pair
right now I only want to wear these goggles and close my eyes and see the aftermath.

You should DEFINITELY wear safety glasses while using anything above 5mw (IMO)
I recommend UVEX or Eagle.