Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1.1W 445nm Custom Build in Ehgemus Host: $5.00!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never realized how 'taboo' these things were. Guess I never put much thought into it. Great way to make a few bucks as long as there is enough people entering.

[disclaimer] I do have some knowledge of this topic because of past experience, but I'm not a lawyer. This is not intended to be legal advise. Etc.. [/disclaimer]

A raffle is considered gambling in the US, which leads to many issues and complications as to weather it is legal, what the tax implications are (winnings from gambling are considered taxable income), banking (can the account be closed, can money be seized, etc), and if it's not legal, who is on the hook.

I'm not involved with this, so I can't say what it is, but if it is a raffle it exposes the organizer, those that put money into it, and the company that runs this web site into a questionable legal position. If this isn't permitted under some special exclusion to the law (such as being run by a 501(c) organization), it's possible that all involved have violated federal law (for those in the US).

I've been stewing on an idea for the last couple days that could allow raffles and the like to be carried out legally. Though it wouldn't be for the point of making profit; though it could help to support this forum and the builders financially as well as provide value to the community. (For those that care, form a 501(c)(6) for the laser enthusiast community, you should be able to figure out the rest from there.)

I don't think the organizer would have entered into this if fully aware of the issues - assuming this is a raffle that is, and as I said, I couldn't say that as I'm not involved.

I think this is not a good idea.

Also, the seller is making tons through this. He's selling his laser for $400. I wouldn't spend more than $270-300.

I'm not sure why everyone decided to post more details about this in the actual thread... Keeping it to PMs was my original idea as clear in the OP..

I guess I trusted too much that it could be kept on the DL instead of everyone blabbing about it... last time I make that mistake on this forum!

Don't worry guys this'll be the last. I'm sorry for bringing everyone into it...

Alright I'm going to end this early. I'm gona ask one of the mods to delete the tread and I'll notify the "bestest" purchaser of the diodes by PM.

Sorry about this.

You should buy a wl Arctic with your $ winnings...
better chances at getting one than this thread :/

Alright I'm going to end this early. I'm gona ask one of the mods to delete the tread and I'll notify the "bestest" purchaser of the diodes by PM.

You should modify both the first post and your signature now...

What do you mean by "bestest" purchaser of the diodes?

daguin

The admin's assumption was that this was done.

closed

Peace,
dave

Status
Not open for further replies.