Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

zapping wee beasties!

This bloody sumer we're having here, which was welcome for those from hotter climates as the heatwave gave for a good send off for the Olympics, but despite the news reports, most British detest the het, I mean heat, 32deg C, not fun, especially when it's still.

So, my problem, that would be the flies, or other little bugs that you only know about when they buzz right past your ear, or can hear when asleep and then wake up bitten. They're quite smart too, the one's you could normally swat, but stay out of reach, I tried confusing them with my bedside Class 1 laser which the cat next door likes to play with, just to get them on the move again, but they're not bothered.

So it got me thinking, well, most of these buggers are black, except for the really smart camel lion ones, and I know what happens to even a black mark on a balloon, I could proper zap them then! So, I was thinking, would I be able to kill these little flying irritations with a high power laser, or, would they be able to survive a blast?

My other concern is safety, yes I'd wear glasses, heck I'd even do what that spoilt kid did from the Osbourne family when he wore a WWII gas mask to play some shooting game (never really watched the programme, but credit due) which would really get me in the mood, no, my concern would be setting the house on fire! Would short sustained bursts be safe enough, they surely couldn't take too much, my electric tennis racket (which has been so useful this year!) fries them on contact!

It' an evolutionary sort of this: first I used a dirty look, then a tea towel, then an electric racket and now I'm up for a laser.

Any thoughts?

DrSid

My 1.5W 445nm can kill anything rather easily. At least when it's sitting on the wall. I just slide the dot over it and it falls if not dead, then dying.
For flying insects there is no way to see them properly with goggles, much less hit them with beam you don't see. Electric racket is way better. It's even better for sitting insects. at least if you can reach the spot.

Oh, so I'm not the first to think of this. Indeed I was thinking only of using it against those stationary, always seeming to be so when in an out of reach place, however I was worried about the risk of fire, or even singing to come to think of it, what's your experience of this please?

DrSid

I zap them on the brick wall .. no problem here. I doubt it would start fire even on wood .. but it would leave marks (I have lots of them on my furniture). It's pretty tricky to lit a candle with my laser, and it must be perfectly focused at close range.

There is that guy that made the mosquito laser zapper. It has a camera, and follows the bugs, and zaps them within seconds all automated. You think 32 C is bad? Haha it got down to 90 here the other day, nice cold front, everyone wore jeans in the morning. @central texas

Yeah google laser mosquito zapper, the project I believe was all diy home made. So im sure a fly would be an easy target

There is that guy that made the mosquito laser zapper. It has a camera, and follows the bugs, and zaps them within seconds all automated. You think 32 C is bad? Haha it got down to 90 here the other day, nice cold front, everyone wore jeans in the morning. @central texas

Yeah google laser mosquito zapper, the project I believe was all diy home made. So im sure a fly would be an easy target

Hey, thanks for that, I kind of had an idea about that but was worried about the machine lasering everything, I didn't think it through as well as the guys here at TED:

The Laser Mosquito Killer at TED 2010.mov - YouTube

This device channels feedback from the flying beastie which then confirms it's target for the machine to kill, which is brilliant. It's a couple of years old now, not sure what their status is regarding funding?

Anyway, I'm looking for something I could do myself, just buying a laser (and safety goggles) to just get the buggers manually. Well, autumns here and it's been raining all day (thank god) so I have a year to prepare.

DrSid: It's for indoor use you understand, I'm the type of guy who has wireless earphones, but only sits on his bed on his computer (well, I would go to the shops with them on but I'm in a rough area right now, where the English riots started), I've got a remote control light bulb and an IP camera fed to an iOS device, so I just want to zap him from my comfortable position, just from my bed - you say it singes things, hmmm, I might not get my deposit back??

I get enough exorsise (I can't even spell it) from the racket thank you very much!

Last edited: