Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Youth Hockey Goalie Training Aid

Hi,

I searched and saw a thread from 3 years ago on a hockey coach using a green laser to put lines on the ice, but am starting this thread since I'm trying to do something a little different.

My son is nine, and when he moves while playing goalie, he often doesn't realize that he isn't square to the puck. He needs to learn to stay square to the puck and I thought that a line coming out of his belly or chest onto the ice would help.

So my idea is to mount a line laser module in a 3" or 4" thick foam pad I can strap on his chest protector, and aim it down at the ice in front of him. I'd like it to make a line from 3' in front of him to about 12' in front of him.

This: http://aixiz.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=204 seemed like an option. So my questions are:

Will that module work to create a 10 or 15 foot visible line on the ice in front of him?

Can I turn it on and leave it on for 20 or 30 minutes without killing it?

If it's workable, would I need to put it in a heat sink inside the foam with ventilation around it? (The end will have to sit an inch back in the foam so pucks don't hit it, and I have firm closed cell foam I can cut a mounting space into.

Oh, lastly, if the laser has a 38 degree or 60 degree line lense on it, is that 15mW strength safe to use? Odds are he'll fall at times and flash me or others with it.

Thanks for any advice or input,
Todd

Wow, 60+ views and not one reply LOL. Atypical questions I guess.

Can anyone tell me if I can turn that 15mW module on and leave it on for a half hour without it burning out or getting really hot? 15mW doesn't seem like much, but I know nothing about laser pointers/modules.

Thanks,
Todd

anselm

Hello an welcome to the forum!:wave:

I have to admit, I saw this post before but didn't really know what to respond.

My son is nine, and when he moves while playing goalie, he often doesn't realize that he isn't square to the puck. He needs to learn to stay square to the puck and I thought that a line coming out of his belly or chest onto the ice would help.
Shouldn't he looking at the puck instead of looking at a laser line on the ground?
I don't know the slightest thing about Hockey, just thought....

About that module, it looks suitable, albeit a little expensive, and maybe it wouldn't
be so visible in a brightly lit hockey ring or during the day....
I'd suggest more like 50mW for good visibilty. Remember that spreading it out
over a line makes it dimmer than all in one dot.

Leaving it on for half an hour shouldn't be a problem, it's a matter of how creatively
you manage to incorporate the module and battery into your son's hockey suit.
It will warm up somewhat, but probably not too much.

How are you making sure this will stay put and don't suddenly shine up into the oncoming
players face?
Blinding the other teams players might not be considered "fair play".:D:D

Hi Anselm,

I'm going to mount it in a foam pad that we'll strap onto his chest. It's pretty firm closed cell stuff, so I can cut out a slot or pocket easily. It's not going to be worn during a game. It's really just so that while he's doing certain drills, he'll know that he's turning his body away from square.

Goalies need to be able to move across the crease sideways while staying square with the puck. But it's hard enough to just move when you weigh 60# and the gear weighs 32#. So at times he's turning sideways and skating backwards, or twisting/cheating on the goalie moves. Understandable, but if we have him do the drills while trying to keep the line pointing at the puck, he will get instant feedback when he cheats.

One of the reasons I thought that was a good module was because it's short, under 2" long, and has the line lense available. It also seems safe to use with the line lense since that will spread out the laser. If my son takes a digger, all bets are off where it will be aimed, LOL. So as low as possible but still fairly easy to see would be great.

Thanks,
Todd

anselm

OK, I get your point.

Most all green modules are this small.
The only advantage I see is that it is made to fit that line generating lens.
It might very well work, but you could get more for your money buying a stronger
module and a lens and mount it yourself....

EDIT:
Just for the lens.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-5mw-line-laser-module-3v-46388
A stronger module:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/30mw-532nm-green-laser-module-3v-11-9mm-26888
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/50mw-532nm-green-laser-module-3v-11-9mm-26889

Last edited:
30mws of green spread out over a line should be plenty. I don't know if players are allowed things like lasers during a game, but what the heck. Try those items that anselm linked you. Just mount that lens in front of the module, and you'll have a bright green line to work with.

I hope this helps!

Those look like great options.
I'm sort of a wimp, so I'll probably order that 30mW one.
Thank you, I really appreciate the advice!
Todd

Posted at ~same time. Thanks for confirming 30mW is enough.
Todd

Last edited:
:wave::wave::wave:

I always wanted to be goalie.

Post pics of your prototype in action, if you don't mind :D

I remember one of the goofiest goals scored against us, our goalie had the puck in his glove and, trying to protect puck from opponents, whipped his glove back behind him, resulting in a goal. We didn't care, though, we always lost, but we also probably had the most fun in the league.

Wow, Im actually a roller hockey goalie. First thing I have ever seen on this forum about hockey! Please post your pictures!
gold_game_two-1096.jpg

Last edited:
Hey BH, with the smoke colored dangler flipped up, that looks like a laser pointer proof mask. You think Kiprusoff has one of those?
Flames' Goalie Kiprusoff Target of Fan's Laser

I appreciate all the help guys. I ordered the 30mW and the little red pointer for the line lens. I'll post pics when I get this together. If I just put the module in a soft foam block, will it get really hot? If it will, I can rig a holder/heat sink pretty easily.

Thanks again,
Todd

anselm

Hmmm I thought about it again, and was a little worried...

What if your son took a dive, the lens came off and someone takes a now concentrated hit of 30mW(+ some IR) to the eye?
You should consider this, and maybe rig the cables so they rip off very easily if something
comes lose from it's designated place.:thinking:

Good point. I'll make sure the line lens is essentially permanently attached with some lock-tite or epoxy.

I think that if heat isn't a big concern, that I'll make a hole in the foam from the back the diameter of the module, and make the hole in front that the beam comes out a touch smaller in diameter.

Sound reasonable?